(ordinance allowing dogs on restaurant patios)
On May 28, 2008 the Dallas City Council amended section 17-10.2 of the Chapter 17 Dallas City Code. This ordinance provides a variance process and establishes criteria to allow dogs on restaurant patios under certain conditions. The frequently asked questions below reflect the recent changes.
City of Dallas Approved Dog Friendly Food Establishments
- 8020 Restaurant - 2008 Greenville
- Amsterdam Falafel Shop - 2651 Commerce #120
- Back Home Barbecue - 5014 Ross
- BBBOP - 2023 Greenville #130
- Brain Dead Brewing - 2625 Main
- Bread Winner's - 5560 W. Lovers #260
- Capitol Pub - 2401 Henderson
- Dallas Chop House Burger - 1717 Main #100
- Dallas Fish Market & Chophouse - 1501 Main
- Digg's Taco Shop - 7325 Gaston
- Dodies Reef - 2821 Greenville
- Dot's Hop House & Cocktail Courtyard - 2645 Commerce
- Eatzi's - 3403 Oak Lawn
- Fireside Pies - 2820 N. Henderson
- Ginger Man – 2718 Boll
- Gloria's – 600 N. Bishop
- Good Friend - 1154 Peavy
- Greenville Ave Pizza Co - 1923 Greenville
- Grub Burger Bar & Grill - 4925 Greenville
- Haymaker - 1520 Greenville
- Henderson Tap House - 2323 N. Henderson #102
- High Five - 1804 McMillan
- Houlihan's Restaurant - 5225 Beltline #220
- Houndstooth Coffee - 1802 McMillan
- IL Cane Rosso - 2612 Commerce
- Jakes Hamburgers - 2422 N. Henderson
- Little Woodrow's - 3300 Ross
- Mattito's - 3102 Oak Lawn
- Mi Cocina - 6332 La Vista
- Mutt's Canine Cantina - 2889 City Place West
- Neo Pizza Napoletana - 2340 Victory Park
- Olivella's Lakewood - 6465 E. Mockingbird #525
- Pecan Lodge - 2702 Main
- Pie Tap Pizza Workshop & Bar - 1212 Oak Lawn #131
- Public School #214 - 3700 McKinney #148
- Ragin Crab - 2100 Greenville
- Rapscallion - 2023 Greenville
- Relish - 2000 Woodall Rodgers Frwy
- Remedy - 2010 Greenville Suite B
- Rusty Taco - 4802 Greenville
- Savor - 2000 Woodall Rodgers Frwy
- Seven Five Patio Bar - 5600 SMU #120
- Society Bakery - 3610 Greenville
- St. Pete's Dancing Marlin - 2730 Commerce
- Starbucks Coffee - 8520 Abrams
- Starbucks Coffee - 2801 Allen #180
- Starbucks Coffee - 5223 Alpha
- Starbucks Coffee - 6859 Arapaho
- Starbucks Coffee - 3100 Forest
- Starbucks Coffee - 9440 Garland Road
- Starbucks Coffee - 7325 Gaston #100
- Starbucks Coffee - 12262 Inwood
- Starbucks Coffee - 6312 La Vista
- Starbucks Coffee - 7995 LBJ
- Starbucks Coffee - 3699 McKinney #300C
- Starbucks Coffee - 3701 W. Northwest Hwy #410
- Starbucks Coffee - 102 Preston Royal Shopping Center
- Starbucks Coffee - 13556 Preston
- Start Restaurant - 4814 Greenville
- Sundown At Granada - 3520 Greenville
- Sushi Zushi - 3636 McKinney #150
- Taco Diner - 3699 McKinney #307
- Taco Joint - 6464 E. Mockingbird #101
- The Dubliner - 2818 Greenville
- The Grill On The Alley - 13270 Dallas Pkwy #1155
- The Libertine - 2101 Greenville
- The Peoples Last Stand - 5319 E. Mockingbird #210
- Toasted Coffee & Kitchen - 5420 Ross
- Truck Yard - 5624 Sears
- Veritas - 2323 N Henderson #103
- WBC Bottle Room – 2116 Greenville
- Whole Foods Market - 2500 McKinney
- Wild Salsa - 1800 Main
- Yucatan Taco Stand - 2023 Greenville
Frequently Asked Questions about Dogs on Patios
Will all restaurants with outdoor patios allow dogs now?
No, restaurants must choose to apply for a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patios. Equally important, these establishments must meet certain conditions that protect public health.
How will I know whether a restaurant is permitted to allow dogs on its outdoor patio?
Permitted "dog friendly" businesses will post a sign at their entrance and Dallas will list all permitted "dog friendly" food establishments online at dallascityhall.com.
Dog Friendly Restaurant Sign (PDF, Sample Only)
What are the steps for a restaurant to obtain a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patio?
- Apply at 7901 Goforth Road, Dallas, TX 75238, Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.;
- Make payment of $127.00 dollars for a two-year variance;
- Inspection of the establishment is scheduled and conducted, and on-site staff is provided regulations on cleanliness and health measures; and
- Upon approval by a City sanitarian, a dog-friendly sign is posted at the entrance.
Will dogs enter through the restaurant interior?
No, restaurants approved for this variance must feature a separate, outside entrance to enter the patio, so that dogs will not enter the interior of the food establishment. Further, doors equipped with self-closing devices must be provided at all entrances to the outdoor patio from the interior of the food establishment.
Can food preparation be done in outside patios?
No food preparation, including mixing drinks or serving ice, may be performed in the outdoor patio area.
How will cleanliness be maintained on outside patios?
The outdoor patio must be continuously maintained free of visible dog hair, dog dander, and other dog-related waste or debris. The outdoor patio must be hosed down or mopped at each shift change or every six hours. Waste created from a dog's bodily functions must be cleaned up with animal friendly chemicals within five minutes of occurrence.
Can staff handle the dogs while at the outside patio?
Restaurant staff may not pet or touch the dogs while on-duty. A dog may not be given any food (including, but not limited to, dog kibbles, biscuits, and edible treats) while in the outdoor patio area, but may be given water in a disposable container.
What other requirements exist for allowing dogs on patios?
- Dogs are not allowed on any space that customers use, e.g. tables, chairs, countertops, or play areas.
- Owner must maintain control of their dog on a leash.
- Dogs must wear current rabies vaccination tags on their collar.
How do I register a health concern or complaint about a particular food establishment?
Dallas residents may call 3-1-1 or submit a Restaurant/Food complaint online (look under the Code Compliance category) at dallascityhall.com.
For Restaurant/Food Complaint or to a Report Foodborne Illness
Who do I contact for further information about this variance?
Contact the Consumer Health Division at (214) 670-8083.