Since 1985, the People Helping People Program (PHP) has been assisting 62+ years of age or disabled homeowners with minor exterior home repairs. Repairs include replacing rotted wood, scraping and painting, rebuilding/replacing steps, handrails, porches, demolishing small structures and removing open storage from yards.
City of Dallas
People Helping People
1500 Marilla Street, Room 6CN
Dallas, Texas 75215
How to qualify?
- Be 62+ years of age or disabled as defined by Social Security or Veterans Administration (No age limitation in Neighborhood Investment Program-N.I.P. areas)
- Own and occupy home for more than two years
- Live within the city limits of Dallas
- Meet low-income guidelines: at or below 50% of the area median income citywide (at or below 80% of the area median income in N.I.P. areas)
- No delinquent taxes or must have a deferral for payment in place or are current on payment plan for payment of delinquent taxes
- Provide copies of required documents for proof of ownership, income, and identification
All services are provided at NO COST to the homeowner and no liens are attached to the property. The PHP program is funded by Community Development Block Grant (CDBG).
How the process works:
An application is completed by the homeowner either by phone or mailed in to the PHP office. The application is then processed and assigned to a coordinator, who will contact the homeowner to schedule an initial home visit. Once the home visit is conducted, all the required documents are received and it is determined that homeowner qualifies for the program, an inspection will be completed by an inspector to determine if the home is appropriate for PHP volunteer assistance. If the home is deemed appropriate for PHP volunteer services, there is a waiting process. The average wait for assistance varies.
People Helping People Program Application (Adobe PDF)
How to Complete this Application (Adobe PDF)
Volunteer recruitment is a year-round process at PHP. Any organization looking to coordinate a team project will find that once involved, it is a highly rewarding experience and one that merits their return year after year. All interested volunteer organizations must complete an application. This will provide PHP with basic knowledge about the group’s skills and assist in matching them with a project at the appropriate level.
Volunteer groups provide all the tools and labor necessary to complete the project selected. Projects typically require 15-20 volunteers and 8-10 hours to complete. Small projects for youth groups are also available. Youth (under age 18) groups require 1 adult to 5 youth ratio. Recommended minimum age is 13. Let PHP help create a project just for your organization!
Volunteer Application Form