Dallas CERT training emphasizes personal accountability for self, family and community by stressing the importance of personal preparedness and accountability. Prior to an emergency, CERT members are expected to have an awareness of their own neighborhoods, and to pre-determine possible evacuation sites that will facilitate effective, safe and rapid response to emergencies.
City of Dallas
Community Emergency Response Team
Training Class – 181201
Dallas Fire-Rescue Training Academy
5000 Dolphin Rd., Dallas, TX 75223
Saturday, Dec 1, 2018
8:00 am – 10:30 am Unit 1 Disaster Preparedness
10:30 am – 12:00 pm Unit 2 Fire Safety
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm – 5:00 pm Unit 3 Disaster Medical Operations Part 1
Unit 4 Disaster Medical Operations Part 2
Saturday, Dec 8, 2018
8:00 am – 12:00 pm Unit 5 Search & Rescue
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm Unit 8 Terrorism
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm Unit 7 Psychology
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm Unit 6 CERT Organization
Saturday, Dec 15, 2018 – Dallas Fire & Rescue, 5000 Dolphin Rd., Dallas, TX 75223
8:00 am – 12:00 pm Unit 9 Course Review & Final Exercise
*Module dates are subject to change*
*Please note the dates the modules are presented are subject to change and that ALL sessions must be completed to get a certificate – missed sessions may be made up at future CERT class offerings.*
During a major emergency, when first responders are unable to respond immediately, CERT team members:
- Assume leadership roles and coordinate spontaneous volunteers.
- Assess situations and properly brief emergency responders when they arrive.
- Recognize the potential hazards associated with a particular type of event and take appropriate action.
- Assist others with the emotional distress associated with major emergencies and disaster conditions.
- Administer first aid and/or triage casualties.
CERT members have proven themselves nationally, to be an active and vital part of their communities' preparedness and response capability. For example, CERT members have been used to:
With the assistance of the Dallas Police Department's Interactive Community Policing Unit and established Crime Watch, Homeowner's Associations, Civic and Church groups, the program has grown phenomenally since 2007. Many CERT participants already belong to other community service or social organizations including Volunteers in Policing, Crime Watches, Neighborhood and Homeowner's Associations, NAACP, the Christian and Islamic Communities, and City of Dallas employees. Largely as a result of this advertisement through multi-media (TV, radio, newspaper, and social media) we have representatives from virtually every sector of Dallas enrolled in program. We anticipate continued success in training our citizens to take personal responsibility for themselves and their families, and to support their community during an emergency or disaster in the City of Dallas.
- Build a network of trained citizens within neighborhoods, businesses, and places of worship to assist with basic emergency response when emergencies or disaster strike.
- Assist with evacuations and traffic control.
- Promote community awareness of potential hazards and preparedness measures.
- Supplement staffing at special events such as parades and public safety activities.
- Portray victims in training exercises.