Mercantile Bank Building1704 Main Street
The 31-story Mercantile National Bank was built in 1943 in the Art Moderne style. It was the only major American office building completed during World War II and, including its spire, was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River for over a decade. Its construction was a major investment and expression of faith in Dallas as a primary city of the Southwest and specifically downtown Dallas. The building is also notable for its association with dominant Dallas community and business leader Robert L. Thornton (Landmark Nomination Form).
Designations: Dallas Landmark (2006)