The City of Dallas Development Code provides that either the City Council or City Plan Commission may authorize a hearing to consider proper zoning in an area. This differs from typical zoning applications in that property owners have not made an application to change the zoning, the City Council or City Plan Commission initiates a process whereby proper zoning can be determined. Once initiated the same requirements for public hearings apply. There will be a public hearing before the City Plan Commission, and a second public hearing in front of City Council prior to a decision being made on a zoning proposal which has been initiated through the authorized hearing process.
Authorized Hearings in Progress
Planned Development District No. 366 - Buckner Special Purpose District
- On January 7, 2016, City Plan Commission authorized a public hearing to determine the proper zoning on property zoned PD No. 366.
- On May 18, 2016, an initial community meeting was held providing background, current zoning, and the process for the project moving forward. Presentation
- Between August 2016 and April 2017 eight steering committee meetings took place.
- On May 8, 2017 and May 23, 2017 community meetings were held providing a summary of the project and overview of the proposed changes and the next steps. Presentation
- Scheduled for City Plan Commission public hearing on June 8, 2017.
An area generally bounded by a Texas Utility Easement on the northeast, Cedar Crest Boulevard on the east, both sides of East 11th Street on the south, Corinth Street on the west, and Parkway Avenue and a DART right of way on the northwest
- On February 25, 2015, City Council authorized a public hearing to determine proper zoning in the area.
- On March 24, 2016 an initial community meeting was held, hosted by City Council Member Arnold to gather input from members of the community.
- In April 2016, Council Member appointed a steering committee and between May 2016 and March 2017 nine steering committee meetings took place to discuss proposed zoning changes for the area.
- On April 20, 2017, a community meeting was held to review the proposed changes.
- Pending scheduling for City Plan Commission public hearing.
Eastside - an area bounded by Main Street, Haskell Avenue, the Santa Fe ROW and DART's Green Line
- On May 7, 2015, the City Plan Commission authorized a public hearing to determine proper zoning in the area.
- On February 22, 2017 an initial community meeting was held, hosted by City Council Member Medrano and CPC Commissioner Mark Rieves to gather input from members of the community.
- In February 2017, Council Member Medrano appointed a steering committee, and between March 2017, and May 2017, six steering committee meetings took place to discuss proposed zoning changes for the area. Steering committee meetings are ongoing and held every couple of weeks. Working document
- After the steering committee work is complete, a community meeting will be held to review the proposed changes, receive comments, and discuss next steps.
- After the community meeting is held, the request will be scheduled for City Plan Commission public hearing and then City Council public hearing.
Completed Authorized Hearings
Jefferson Area Special Purpose District - PD No. 316
Bishop / Davis Zoning Proposal (Approved August 11, 2010)
Lower Greenville Avenue
South Dallas Fair Park Authorized Hearing
Valley View – Galleria Authorized Hearing (Case Z123-186)
Related – Valley View – Galleria Area Plan – June 2013
Valley View – Galleria Area Plan (10.2 MB)
Oak Cliff Gateway - May 2015
Victory Planned Development District No. 582 - Approved March 21, 2016
Victory Special Purpose Sign District (SPSD145-1) - Approved March 23, 2016