Rickey D. “Rick” Callahan was elected to his first term on the Dallas City Council on June 15, 2013, to represent the newly created District 5, which unified the Pleasant Grove/Southeast Dallas area previously divided among four council districts. Besides living and working in the district for almost thirty years, Rick has been actively involved in the community and has a long history of proven leadership and positive results.
A licensed real estate broker and owner of Callahan Properties Commercial Real Estate Services, Rick has worked to replace substandard and blighted properties and has successfully attracted new retail development and jobs to the community, including the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market that brought over 150 permanent jobs to the area.
While chairman of the Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce, Rick spearheaded inclusion of the Main Street Pleasant Grove Project in the 1995 Bond Program, resulting in $1 million of capital improvements to Buckner Blvd. He has also organized and served on a number of committees to improve the quality of life and image of Southeast Dallas, and is committed to working with his neighbors, businesses, the City Council and Mayor Rawlings to help Dallas GrowSouth.
- Born in Dallas, grew up in Mesquite, moved back to Dallas in 1985.
- Attends Lake Pointe Church: Town East Campus in Mesquite.
- M.B.A. in General Mgmt. Amber University, 1986 (now Amberton University)
- B.A. in Political Science, University of Texas at Dallas, 1978
- Associate in Arts & Sciences, Eastfield College, 1976
- Graduated from North Mesquite High School, 1974
- Licensed real estate agent since 1979
- Licensed real estate broker since 1985
- President, Callahan Investments, Inc. d/b/a Callahan Properties Commercial Real Estate Services, since 1985
- Former Member and Board Member of Dallas Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees)
- Two time former President of Mesquite Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) (1980-81 and 1982-83)
- Life member (JCI Senator 38931), Junior Chamber International (JCI), Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) World Organization (Selected 1985)
- Board of Directors of Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce (1987-present; Chairman 1994-1996)
- Life Member of the Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce (Selection in 2006)
- Member, National Association of Realtors (NAR) and Texas Association of Realtors (TAR)
- Charter member of North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors (NTCAR)
- Chair, Friends of Scouting, Cimarron District, Circle 10 Council, Boy Scouts of America (2013 to present)
- Circle 10 Council, Advisory Committee, Boy Scouts of America, (2016 - Present)
- North Texas commission, Executive Committee (2017 - Present), Board of Directors (2016 - Present)
- Member, Mayor Tom Leppert’s Task Force on Economic Development, serving on sub-committees for the Pleasant Grove Community and the Small Business Committee (2010-2012)
- Board member, Pleasant Grove Weed and Seed Committee; chaired Sub-Committee on Neighborhood Revitalization and Economic Development (2010-2011)
- Commissioner, Innovation and Productivity Commission (appointed by Councilwoman Vonciel Jones Hill) (2008-2009)
- Member, Pleasant Grove Historical Society (1984-2002), Treasurer (2000-2002)
- President, Clean Dallas Southeast (now Keep Dallas Beautiful) (1988-1990)
- Vice Chairman and Board Member Southeast Emergency Food Center (1996-1998)
- Board Member, Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau (1995-1998)
- Member, 1995 Dallas Bond Campaign
- Created Buckner Children’s Night Christmas Parade and Party in 1994 that continued through 2013
- Organized and led Saturday gang graffiti paint-overs throughout the area
- Leadership role in annual Pleasant Grove Cinco de Mayo Parade and Festival
- Committee member, Southeast Dallas Community Fund Raiser for over 20 years (now referred to as October Month of Service), providing funds for community projects, including: college scholarships, Pleasant Grove Food Pantry, Defy-it Drug Program, Reading is Fundamental (RIF), Grove-Fest, National Night Out, Hands Across the Grove.