Office of Community Care

​Frequently Asked Questions

​Program Eligibility Based on Area Median Income (AMI)

Household Size

Monthly IncomeAnnual Income
4$5,933$71, 200
5$6,408$76, 900

Categorical Program Eligibility

If you or any of your household members currently participates in any of the following programs, you will meet the income eligibility requirements for the City of Dallas Rental Assistance Program.

Public Program
National School Lunch Program (Free and/or Reduced School Lunch)
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps)
Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Supplemental Social Security Income (SSI)
Head Start
Children's Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)

Documentation Requirements

Eligibility CriteriaMost Common Accepted Document(s)

Proof of Identification

Something that shows who you are



Identification for all household members (1 or more of the below)

  • Driver's license
  • Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Social Security Card
  • Birth certificates
  • Tax returns that list everyone
  • Matrícula Consular
  • Other 

For dependents under 18, you can use school records, SNAP, TANF, or Medicaid Award letters

Proof of Residence

Something that proves you live in the unit for which you are requesting help

  • Complete lease agreement in your name (name of the applicant) – if you don't have this, ask your landlord or leasing office for a copy. 

Unable to receive this from your landlord? Call 214-670-8416 to explore potential other options. 

Income/Documentation (required for all residents of Household age 18+)*


Something that shows your income for the last two months





  • Annual Income - 2020 Income Tax Return

  • Income Determination by Another Government Assistance Program (dated on or after 1/1/2020)

  • Monthly Income
    • Work (last two pay stubs)
    • Unemployment Insurance statement
    • Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Letter
    • Pension or Retirement
    • Child Support
    • Bank Statements showing deposit amounts (for past month)
    • Attestation from Employer 


No Income?

  • Declaration of No Income Statement (available online in the application or from one of our Dallas Rent Relief Partners)
  • Self-Attestation of Income

Proof of COVID Hardship


Something that shows how you have been adversely impacted by the pandemic

  • Notice of unemployment or furlough
  • Notice to vacate
  • Something that shows a loss of pay or hours (permanent or temporary)
  • Something that shows increased expenditures (increased medical bills, childcare, etc.)
  • Other impact – provide explanation 


  • Self-declaration of hardship if none of these are available

Proof of Housing Instability


Something that shows what is making it more difficult to maintain housing


  • Past due rent notice
  • Eviction notice or notice to vacate
  • Letter or other communication from landlord indicating past due rent amount
  • Late or unpaid utility bill (water, electricity, gas, etc.)

Contact information for your landlord

  • Name, phone number, and email
  • Leasing company (if applicable)


What if I need utility assistance?

If you pay your landlord directly for utilities such as electricity, water sewer, trash collection, etc., you may add your total monthly cost for utilities to the monthly amount of rental assistance you are requesting. Both the City of Dallas and United Way's Dallas Rental Assistance Collaborative pay for utility assistance for renters.