Emergency Home Repair Program
The Emergency Home Repair Program is run by a local non-profit, Volunteers of America Texas.
The eligibility requirements are the same for both programs – see eligibility section below.
Purpose: To provide emergency home repair assistance to qualified low-to-moderate-income homeowners within the city limits of Dallas for replacement or repair of systems/fixtures that have been damaged as a result of the 2021 Texas Severe Winter Storm which occurred starting on February 11, 2021 and require immediate action to protect the health and/or safety of the occupants.
NON-PROFIT PROGRAM - NOW OPEN!
On Monday, March 8, 2021, at 10 a.m., Volunteers of America Texas will begin accepting applications to address the needs for emergency home repairs and offer a grant up to $10,000 to repair your home. You can get to the application directly by visiting https://www.voatx.org/winter-emergency or by clicking here or calling 214-305-9890 or emailing email@example.com
Applicants will apply directly with the following organizations:
Volunteers of America Texas
Applicants that meet all the eligibility requirements listed below that need emergency repairs caused by the 2021 Texas Winter Severe Storm are eligible to have a grant up to $10,000 paid on their behalf to a licensed contractor through the organization.
- Wall/Floor removal
- Sewer lines
- Gas lines
- Water lines and/or water damage
- Electrical System
- HVAC units
- Plumbing fixtures – including sink pipes and toilets damaged by frozen condition
- Mold remediation
Homeowners within the City of Dallas with household incomes at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI), who experienced damage(s) to their primary residence caused by the 2021 Texas Severe Winter Storm which risks causing harm to the life, health, or safety of the occupants.
Income Limits Chart- CLICK HERE
- Those who do not own the home
- Applicants currently approved for home repair or reconstruction through City of Dallas Housing programs, including but not limited to the Home Improvement and Preservation Program (HIPP) or the Targeted Repair Program (TRP)
- Homeowners who have or will receive funds for the same repairs/replacement, including but not limited to insurance proceeds
- City Council members, Department of Housing & Neighborhood Revitalization employees and any employee, official or agent of the City who exercises any policy or program decision-making function in connection with the program are ineligible for assistance under the program
The amount of assistance provided for repair cannot exceed $10,000.00 per applicant.
Applicants must provide documentation in order to determine eligibility, which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Proof of Household Income
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of primary homeowner occupancy
- Proof of damages and that the damage(s) occurred as a result of the 2021 Texas Severe Winter Storm
- Proof of ownership
In addition to the City, the federal government is also offering home repair assistance. See the information below:
- FEMA - is helping with temporary rental or home repair on a case by case basis at the State level. Residents of Dallas who were impacted that have experienced loss due to the Texas Winter Severe Storm may are able to apply by registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585.
Permit and Inspection Information
For full information about permits and inspections, including FAQs, videos, brochures and contacts are available on the Building Inspection website or download the Chapter 52 Administrative Procedures for the Construction Codes.
Specifically, regarding roofs, no permit is required for re-roofing of single-family or duplex dwellings IF the value of work does not exceed $500. A permit is required if greater than $500.
Regarding fixing burst pipes, any repair work should be performed by a qualified individual. The code allows work on single family and duplex residences to do minor repairs such as replacing sections of pipe to repair water leaks without a permit up to $1,000.
Major Water, Sewer, Gas and Electrical Lines
These all require permits and inspections
Water Heater Replacement
Replacement of water heaters requires a permit. Any repairs to gas lines require a permit and the work to be done by a licensed plumber. Gas line repairs will require an inspection which the licensed plumber will request upon completion of the work.
A trifold brochure regarding plumbing permits, when they are needed, contact information, can be found here.
Floor Wall Removal
No permit is needed to do light demolition work, removing wall and floor sections that may be damaged. Work that involves replacing walls and floors where structural elements are impacted my required permits and inspections.
What is the purpose of the two programs listed under the Emergency Home Repair Program?
Both programs provide emergency home repair assistance to qualified low- to moderate-income homeowners within the city limits of Dallas for replacement or repair of systems/fixtures that have been damaged as a result of the 2021 Texas Severe Winter Storm which occurred starting on February 11, 2021 and require immediate action to protect the health and/or safety of the occupants.
Is the City of Dallas accepting applications?
No, the City is NOT accepting applications for the Non-profit program. It is partnering with the above organizations to administer this program. Applicants will apply directly through them.
How Do I apply?
To apply through the non-profits see links in the Non-Profit Program Section
How Much Assistance can I receive?
Up to $10,000
What are the assistance terms?
This is a grant with no lien or deed restrictions.
Who is Eligible?
City of Dallas resident
Under 80% Area Median Income (AMI)
Have eligible repairs done by a licensed contractor
What documentation is needed in order to determine eligibility, which includes but is not limited to the following:
Proof of Household Income
Proof of Identity
Proof of primary homeowner occupancy
Proof of damages and that the damage(s) occurred as a result of the 2021 Texas Severe Winter Storm
Proof of ownership