Halloween is a fun time for children of all ages. Between parties, costumes, trick-or-treating, safety is a big factor throughout the Halloween Season. By taking the time to follow some common tips, everyone can enjoy a safe and fun Halloween.
- Cross streets only at a crosswalk or corner.
- Use sidewalks or paths. Keep out of the streets if possible. If not, walk facing traffic and as far left as possible.
- Kids 12 and under should have adults with them at all times.
- Stick with direct and familiar routes.
- Carry flashlights or glow sticks to stay visible to traffic.
- Costumes and bags should be light-colored or have reflective tape or stickers for increased visibility.
- Make sure costumes fit well and don't impede movement or vision. Use face paint instead of masks for better vision.
- Be aware that many common substances can be potentially hazardous. Watch for reactions and call Poison Control if you see a problem.
Safety is everyone's responsibility. Prime time for kids to be out on Halloween is 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. If you're out on Halloween, be alert and slow down while driving. Take extra care and keep clear of distractions like being on a cell phone and keep you head lights on. Keep the Poison Control number – 800-222-1222 - handy, in case you need it, as well.
For more information on how to be prepared for emergencies click on our "Get Prepared" tab and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.