Flu Season is upon us. The time to prevent catching and spreading the flu is now. The flu affects millions each year, reducing the spread reduces the risk. The flu affects millions of people each year. Thousands end up in the hospital with complications with some leading to death. By preventing the flu, you can save money and lives. Here are some ways to protect against the flu.
- Get the flu vaccine!
- The flu vaccine protects again the most commonly anticipated flu strains, including H1N1.
- Everyone over 6 months old should get the vaccine, especially if you're at high risk for complications.
- Everyday Prevention Actions!
- Avoid contact with anyone who's ill.
- If you're ill, stay home and rest for at least 24 hours after your fever breaks and is gone without fever reducers – if at all possible.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water. Use alcohol-based sanitizer when water is unavailable.
- Avoid touching your face and eyes to prevent the spread of germs.
- Keep surfaces and objects clean and disinfected to keep from spreading contamination.
- Antiviral Drugs
- If you do get the flu, antivirals can shorten the length and severity of the illness.
- Antivirals work best if taken within 48 hours of symptoms, so don't wait.
Those with the flu may be able to spread the virus from one day before getting sick to up to 7 days after showing signs of illness. For more information on preparing for or preventing the flu, check out our website.