Sanitation Services

Sanita​tion Services

​Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I take a load of trash?

The City operates McCommas Bluff Landfill and three transfer stations that will accept trash from Dallas residents.

What can I take to the landfill or transfer stations?

Dallas residents (with proof of residency: current driver's license and water bill) may dispose of ordinary, non-hazardous household solid waste at no charge at the landfill or transfer stations. These materials may only be transported in a passenger car, station wagon, pick-up truck, or trailer less than 15 feet at no charge.

The following is a partial list of materials that are not accepted at the landfill or transfer stations.

  • Industrial waste
  • Radioactive waste
  • PCB contaminated waste
  • Medical waste
  • Asbestos
  • Liquid waste
  • Sludge, grease and grit trap waste, or septic tank pumpings
  • Soil from hazardous spills or underground storage tank leaks
  • Tires (unless in a small quantity and from a household)
  • Fiberglass insulation (bulk)
  • Lead acid batteries
  • Used automotive oil filters
  • Refrigeration equipment containing CFC's from sources other than Dallas residents
  • Incinerator ash or air pollution control waste
  • Any waste requiring written acknowledgment as proof of disposal

Other waste may be rejected for disposal if it is determined that it would create a nuisance by reason of emission, disagreeable odors or would operate to make the site unwholesome or adversely affect the public health, safety and welfare.

Where can I take passenger tires?tire.png

Passenger tires (25 inches or less) can be taken to the Landfill and the Northwest transfer station. Please limit to 6 per year per resident.

Where can I dispose of needles?

Since the State of Texas doesn't require take-back programs for sharps, they can be difficult to dispose of. However,  there are guidelines for safe disposal that keep your family and City employees safe.  To safely dispose of needles, please see the guidelines below.

  • Place needles and syringes in a hard plastic or metal container with a tightly secured lid and label it.Image result for needles
  • Keep the container out of the reach of children and pets.
  • When the container is full and ready to be disposed of, please reinforce the container with heavy-duty tape.
  • Dispose of the sealed container in the grey garbage roll cart.

For additional information on safe disposal, please see the TCEQ's Do's and Don'ts below.



Sharps containers can also be sent back to the manufacturer but some fees may apply. If the sharps container is completely sealed and labeled it may be taken to the Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center.

Where can I dispose of medications?Medications.png

Periodically, the Dallas Police Department will coordinate medication collection events with local drug stores due to the strict regulations regarding medication collections.

When there is not a collection event, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration has issued federal guidelines on how to dispose of medications. For more information on how to dispose of unused medicines, Click Here.

Where can I recycle yard waste?

Bagged grass clippings and leaves (free of household wastes) can be delivered to the McCommas Bluff Landfill, the Northwest Transfer Station, the Southwest Transfer Station, or the Northeast Transfer Station. Yard waste brush can be delivered to the McCommas Bluff Landfill or the Northwest Transfer Station.  When available, shredded/mixed yard waste material may be obtained in small quantities and free of charge to Dallas residents.

Where can I take household hazardous waste?BOPA truck.jpg

Dallas residents can take their household hazardous waste to the Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center. Batteries, Oil, Paint and Antifreeze can be taken to BOPA collection events.

Where can I recycle old electronics?

Dallas residents can take their old electronics (such as televisions, computers, cellphones, etc.) to the McCommas Bluff Landfill or any of the three transfer stations. You can find a list of accepted electronics, here.