Were you previously incarcerated and released from prison, state, or county jail?
Do you have non-incarceration charges/arrests on your background that have become a roadblock to full-time and/or stable employment?
If so, we may have an opportunity for you!
The Small Business Center - FreshStart Employment Program, is aimed at ensuring that current, unemployed, underemployed, seasonally employed, and temporarily employed individuals with criminal backgrounds, have the opportunity to obtain full-time employment within the City of Dallas and receive the support needed to maintain and thrive in the workforce.
FreshStart relies on a combination of internal programs and local community-based organizations to refer eligible clients and to help potential clients gain the stability and skills needed to become successful employees. The FreshStart staff will work with City departments to help place clients in full-time positions with opportunities for growth.
FreshStart clients are considered eligible, by meeting all criteria below: The initial step to pre-determine program eligibility. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request the pre-eligibility form.
Must be at least 18 years of age
Must be considered by pre-eligibility
Must be released from incarceration a minimum of "upon release" to six (6) months ago (if applicable)**
- and/or have other arrests on criminal background report (without incarceration)**
- Must have a minimum of 6 months of stable housing
- Must have attended or agree to attend workforce development training and/or a job readiness workshop
- Must apply via the City of Dallas Employment website
- Must be coachable and willing to learn
Criminal Background Considerations
- Misdemeanors Charges – Non-Aggravated - NO Waiting Period**
- Felony Charges – Non-Aggravated – 6-month Waiting Period **
- Felony Charges – Aggravated - 2-year minimum Waiting Period **
- Other Felony Charges – 5-year minimum Waiting Period **
- Pending cases will not be considered until the case is resolved
- Active Warrants will not be considered until lifted
- Deferred Adjudication allowed
- Probation/Parole allowed
** from the latter of either the release from prison/jail or the date of the disposition
Open Positions (If you are interested in positions other than those listed below, we encourage you to apply.)
311 Customer Service Agent Trainee (Management Services)
Utilities Maintenance Worker I (Dallas Water Utilities)
Utilities Maintenance Worker II (Dallas Water Utilities)
Crew Leader (Parks and Recreation)
Maintenance Worker I (Parks and Recreation)
Maintenance Worker II (Parks and Recreation)
For information regarding our positions and/or program eligibility requirements, please email email@example.com.
FreshStart events does not guarantee employment.