The Fund Development Unit serves as a citywide resource to assist City departments in grant-related activities, including:
- Identifying and researching funding opportunities from federal, state, and private sources
- Providing technical grant writing expertise
- Coordinating grant applications and acting as a liaison between City Departments
- Writing and packaging grant applications
- Submitting all competitive grants for the City
- Providing grant writing and grant management training to City staff that includes how to find grants, common elements when writing a grant, pre and post- award requirements, and common elements in audits
The ultimate goal for the Fund Development Unit is to solicit funding for City programs and activities as well as bolstering public/private partnerships.
- Successful City projects supported by grant dollars include:
- Creating a Veteran's Community Court
- Assisting the Police Athletic League procure equipment and supplies for a youth boxing program
- Funding outdoor park renovations at Bachman Lake
- Expanding the Homeless Engagement Initiative for the Dallas Public Library
- Public/private partnership funding is used to leverage additional resources such as construction-related activities and program implementation.
In addition, the Fund Development Unit also manages grant funds allocated by state and federal governments such as Justice Assistance Grants and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Reentry Pilot Program.