Historic Preservation

Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery

The former Missionary Baptist Church and cemetery were both established in 1903 on rural land between the community of Rylie and the Trinity River. The church served a congregation of rural African-Americans who were farmers and tenant farmers in the area. The church was destroyed in the tornados that hit South Dallas in 1957, but the cemetery with nearly 100 graves remain. The grounds are maintained by the nearby Oak ​​Grove Baptist Church. 

Ordinance #28776

Designations: Dallas Landmark (2012)

Further Research: