Historic Preservation





James Madison High School

3000 Marti​n Luther King Boulevard



Constructed in 1916 to accommodate the growing population of Dallas, James Madison High School is significant as one of the early high schools of Dallas. It first opened as Forest Avenue High School to serve white students, then changed names on September 1, 1958, when it re-opened to serve students from the predominantly African-American neighborhood. It is built in the Colonial Revival style of architecture.

Ord​inance #21886

 Designations: Dallas Landmark (1993), National Register of Historic Places (1995)
 
Further Research: