Frequently Asked Questions
Who is my Council member and what are the addresses of the Mayor and Council members?
- You can view a
map of the City Council Districts and obtain
individual mailing addresses, telephone numbers, fax numbers, and Council
What are the current Council committee assignments?
When are the elections for the Dallas City Council held? How long is their term? How many terms can they serve?
Elections for the Dallas City Council are held in May, every odd year. The term for the Mayor is four (4) years. The term for the Council members is two (2) years. The Mayor can serve two (2) terms, whereas, the Council members can serve four (4) terms.
Where do I sign up to speak to the City Council at their Council meeting on Wednesdays?
- To register to speak at the Council meeting, call the City Secretary's Office at 214-670-3738.
How do I sign up to speak at the next Council meeting?
- A person wishing to address the City Council must first register with the City Secretary and provide the following information: name, residence address, daytime telephone number, the subject matter to be presented, and whether the subject is on the current City Council Meeting Agenda. A person may register either in person or by telephone. The earliest a person may register for an upcoming City Council meeting is the beginning of the next regular business day following the previous City Council meeting. The deadline for registering to address the council is 9:00 A.M. of the day of the meeting. Consult the City Secretary's information to obtain more information on speaking at a Council meeting.
Do I have to be a resident of the City of Dallas to speak at a City Council meeting?
- No, you do not have to be a resident of the City of Dallas to speak at a City Council meeting; however, preference is given to residents. More information about this is available in the City Council Rules of Procedures.
When, what time and where does the City Council meet?
- The City Council Agenda meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month at 9:00 A.M. in the Dallas City Hall - Council Chambers on the 6th Floor. The City Council briefings are held on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 9:00 A.M. in the Dallas City Hall - Council Chambers and Room 6ES.
Where do I get a copy of the Council Meeting agenda?
- You may call the Agenda Office at 214-670-3685 or the City Secretary's Office at 214-670-3738 to get a copy of the Council Meeting agenda. You may also pick up a copy of the Council Agenda at the City Agenda Office, the City Secretary's Office, the City Hall Information Desk in the Lobby of City Hall, and at all library locations. The City Agenda Office is located at Dallas City Hall - Room 4FS. The City Secretary's Office is at City Hall,
1500 Marilla Street, Room 5DS, and is open from 8:15 A.M. until 5:15 P.M. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. The main office phone line is 214-670-3738.
- You can also receive Council Agenda's in the mail by sending 9 x 12 self-addressed envelopes to the City Agenda Office, City of Dallas,
1500 Marilla Street, Room 4FS, Dallas, Texas 75201. The Council Briefing and Action Agendas are mailed two times a month
Who do I call to request a proclamation or special recognition?
What is the televising schedule for City Council meetings?
The City Council meetings are televised live on Time Warner cable channel 6B, 16, 66 or 76 (Digital Channel 66/76) on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, starting at 9:00 A.M. (subject to change). The Council Briefings are televised live on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month, starting at 9:00 A.M. (subject to change). The proceedings are re-televised several times during the following week.
How may I listen to the City Council meetings?
- The City Council meetings, held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month, are broadcast live on WRR radio station at 101.1 FM, from 9:00 A.M. through its conclusion if earlier than 6:00 P.M., or through 6:00 P.M. (subject to change).
Who can I call to see if an item passed or not?
- Call the City Secretary's Office at 214-670-3738.
When, what time and where are Council Committee meetings?
Council Committee meetings are generally held on the first, second, third and fourth Monday (unless noted otherwise) of each month, unless otherwise rescheduled by the Committee Chairperson. The Council Committee meetings are held in Dallas City Hall - Room 6ES. See Council Committee Meeting Schedule below.
First Monday of the Month
Second Monday of the Month
Third Monday of the Month
Third Tuesday of the Month
Fourth Monday of the Month