Frequently Asked Questions​

Where is the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center? (Top)

The center is located at 2922 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Dallas, TX 75215. The telephone number is 214-670-8418.

Where is the West Dallas Multipurpose Center? (Top)

The center is located at 2828 Fish Trap Road, Dallas, TX 75212. The telephone number is 

To whom can I speak regarding contracts with the Office of Community Care? (Top)

For information on contracts administered by the department, call the Contracts and Grants section at 214-670-3601.

Where are night shelters for the homeless located? (Top)

Is there a shelter program for battered women? (Top)


Yes. There are 4 agencies that offer assistance to battered persons:

  • Family Place: Serves women and children with 24 hour shelter, counseling and support. 214-941-1991.
  • Genesis Women's Shelter: Provides shelter and 3 meals a day for battered women and children. Also provides counseling and casework services as well as housing assistance. 214-942-2998.
  • New Tomorrow, Inc.: Provides counseling for battered women. 972-438-3695.
  • Salvation Army: Provides shelter seven days a week, 24 hours a day for 20- plus women and children. Also provides counseling, support, referrals, case management and financial assistance. 214-424-7200.
  • Other City services related to domestic violence:

How can I find out if I am eligible for food stamps? (Top)

Contact the Texas Department of Health and Human Services at metro 817-264-4000.

How can I find out if I qualify for the WIC program (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children)? (Top)

Call the WIC administrative office at 214-670-7200 and provide your ZIP code to find out the location and phone number of the WIC clinic nearest you. Call the nearest clinic to make an appointment to determine eligibility.

What services and benefits does the WIC program provide? (Top)

WIC provides food packages (milk, cheese, cereal, fruit juice, eggs, beans, peanut butter, and infant formula); nutrition classes; breast-feeding promotion and support; and referrals for health and social services. Some sites also provide free immunizations for participants. All services are provided to eligible participants only.

How do I report a suspected case of child abuse? (Top)

If you believe that a child has been abused or neglected or that a child has died of abuse or neglect, you must report your suspicion to the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services or a law enforcement agency and file a subsequent written report. Call the 24-hour abuse hotline, 800-336-7788, metro 817-640-6200, or a law enforcement agency (9-1-1).

Who do I call regarding obtaining a child care license? (Top)

To apply for a child care license, call the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services at 214-951-7902.