You have 21 days from when the citation was issued to appear. You may make your appearance online, by mail, by telephone, and in person. Live Chat and email do not satisfy an appearance. If you fail to make your appearance within the 21 days, you are subject to added fines, fees, and possible warrants for your arrest. Civil citations have 31 days to appear. If you are unsure which type of citation you received, you can contact the Court before the 21 days expires to verify.
Compliance & Dismissals
citations are handled by online, by mail or in-person at the Court. You must provide the
declaration page of your insurance policy along with the insurance card. For
the judge to consider the citation for a compliance dismissal, the declaration
page must cover the date and time the citation was received.
You have 21 days from the citation date to present proof of correction. If charged with one of the following offenses, you may request a dismissal of your citation(s) with an administrative fee. (Not all compliance dismissals are listed):
- Expired vehicle registration (Defendant must remedy the defect, and show proof of payment of late registration fee to county assessor-collector);
- Operate vehicle without valid registration insignia properly displayed;
- Attaching or displaying on a vehicle a registration insignia that is assigned for a period other than in effect;
- Operate vehicle without two valid license plates;
- Attaching or displaying on a vehicle a license plate that is assigned for a period other than in effect, or has a blurring, reflective, coating, covering, or protective matter or attached illuminated device, sticker, decal, or emblem that obscures, impairs, or interferes with the plate's readability;
- Expired driver's license;
- Fail to report a change of address or name on driver's license;
- Violate driver's license restriction or endorsement;
- Operate vehicle with defective required equipment (or in unsafe condition);
- Operating a vehicle without complying with inspection requirements as certified (vehicle was located in another state at the time the applicant applied for registration or renewal, Section 548.256(b) of the Transportation Code);
- Expired disabled parking placard;
- Operate vessel with an expired certificate of number.
What you need to request a compliance dismissal:
Acceptable form of identification (Defined Here) (Social security cards and selfies (pictures) are NOT valid forms of identification.);
Proof of the correction or vehicle insurance (Insurance citations must have the declaration page of your insurance policy along with the insurance card. For the judge to consider the citation for a compliance dismissal, the declaration page must cover the date and time the citation was received.);
Must pay the Administrative Fee.
*** When you request a compliance dismissal online or by mail, please note this is a REQUEST ONLY. The Court will provide a response by mail within 5-7 business days and will utilize the address listed on the Contact Verification Form. ***
To review citation(s), status, or balances (Click Here). Example: (C12123456 Do not enter the dash) (Warrants will appear in red).
Options for requesting compliance dismissal:
Fill out the Verification of Contact Information Form and upload the completed form. (You will find this PDF link during the online setup.) Must have a valid phone number.
**** Not all compliance/dismissal citations are eligible for the online option. ****
Online transactions have a Convenience Fee. This fee covers the cost incurred by the City of Dallas to offer an online option for your convenience. Individuals who wish to avoid this fee may handle their case by mail or in-person at the Municipal Court at 2014 Main St.
Dallas Municipal Court
2014 Main St.
Dallas, TX 75201-4406
Do not send cash by mail. Send only a check, cashier's check or money order made payable to the "City of Dallas" through the mail. To ensure the correct citation is credited, print the citation number on the check or money order.
The Court uses the postmark date on the letter (stamped by the postal service) as the received date. Mailing certified is recommended but is not required.
For hours of operation: (Click Here)
Walk-in court (proof or plea) is open and accessible to the public as a first come first served docket. Sign-in begins at 7:30 a.m. and court opens at 8:30 a.m. There is a limited number of people that can be scheduled per docket. Once the morning docket is full, you can wait on the 1:00 p.m. docket or come back another day. Once the afternoon docket is full, you can return another business day to sign up for the walk-in court (proof or plea).
Morning Open Court Afternoon Open Court
Monday: 8:30 am – 10:30 am 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am – 10:30 am 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm & 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:30 am – 10:30 am 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am – 10:30 am 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 10:30 am Juveniles Only – 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Pay with cash, debit card, credit card, check, or money order. Cards accepted are Visa and MasterCard. (No credit card fee when paying in-person at the Municipal Court.) Spanish speaking representatives are available. (Agentes de Servicio que hablan español están disponibles para servirle.)
The City of Dallas Municipal Court does not have free or dedicated parking for the public. Paid parking options include street metered parking, daily lots, and private garages.