UPCOMING CPOB MEETING:
The Board's next meeting will be held on September 12, 2023, in person at Dallas City Hall in the Council Briefing Chambers, room 6ES at 5:30 pm.
To register to speak see the instructions below:
can sign up at the next meeting location on the meeting day. A person
wishing to address the Community Police Oversight Board must provide the
following information: name, residence address, daytime telephone number,
the subject matter to be presented, and whether the subject is on the
current Community Police Oversight Board meeting agenda.
person wishing to address the Community Police Oversight Board virtually
must first register with the Office of Community Police Oversight and
provide the following information: name, residence address, daytime
telephone number, the subject matter to be presented, and whether the
subject is on the current Community Police Oversight Board meeting agenda.
A person may register by electronic mail at OCPO@dallascityhall.com,
or by telephone at 214-671-8283. The deadline for registering to address the
Board at this Community Police Oversight Board meeting is 12:00
p.m. on September 12, 2023. No person may register to speak during an
open microphone period more than once within any 30-day period.
OCPO Releases Second Report on Racial Disparities in Low-Level Arrests on the 3rd Anniversary of the Death of George Floyd
"A Second Look: An Analysis of Persisting Disparities in Dallas Misdemeanor Arrests", is a NEW report co-authored by OCPO and The Leadership Conference Education Fund's New Era of Public Safety Initiative. The report assesses the impact of misdemeanor arrests and their effects on the community, particularly Black and Latino communities.
The report details five findings, that resulted from a four-year study (2018- 2022) on the Dallas Police Department's misdemeanor enforcement practices. The report also makes five actionable recommendations to the City Council, City Manager, and DPD. Thirteen community organizations signed on to the report. Click on the PDF to view the full report. OCPO A-Second-Look-Dallas-Report-2023.pdf
The mission of the Office of Community Police Oversight (OCPO) is to ensure civilian complaints are reviewed impartially to enhance the transparency and trust between the City of Dallas, the Dallas Police Department, and the community. To help ensure this accountability, the OCPO will provide functional support and technical assistance to the Community Police Oversight Board (CPOB), formerly known as the Civilian Review Board.
The OCPO will be staffed by a monitor and administrative support staff who will report directly to the City Manager. The monitor will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Provide operative support to the CPOB
- Provide reports to the City Manager to support CPOB
- Conduct investigations as directed by CPOB
- Receive external civilian complaints
- Recommend external complaints about mediation, Internal Affairs investigation, or Divisional investigations
- Monitor external Internal Affairs conducted investigations
- Provide timely updates to CPOB at the conclusion of an external and administrative investigation
Community Police Oversight Board Rules of Procedure
Board Rules of Procedure.pdf
Thank an Officer
- Thank an officer electronically through OCPO. Click here to access the online form.
Making a Complaint
A complaint against a police officer for misconduct may be made in one of several ways:
- Submit a civilian complaint electronically to the OCPO. Click here to access online form in English and Spanish.
- Call OCPO. If no one answers, please leave a voicemail message stating you would like to file a complaint. Please include a good call back number to reach you and a member of the OCPO staff will return your call.
- Complete a complaint form at the Dallas Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division.
- Go to any of the seven police stations in the City of Dallas and complete a complaint form.
- Print a Civilian's Complaint form and return it in one of the following ways:
Office of Community Police Oversight
- Mail it to the Office of Community Police Oversight
- Deliver it to the Dallas Police Department Internal Affairs Division or any City of Dallas police station