UPCOMING CPOB MEETING:
The Board's next meeting will be held by videoconference on August 11, from 5:30p.m. - 8:00p.m. To view the agenda please click here. To view the meeting via Webex videoconference click here.
To register to speak see instructions below:
A person wishing to address the Community Police Oversight Board must first register with the Office of Community Police Oversight and provide the following information: name, residence address, daytime telephone number, the subject matter to be presented, and whether the subject is on the current Community Police Oversight Board meeting agenda. A person may register by electronic mail at OCPO@dallascityhall.com, or by telephone at 214-671-8283. The deadline for registering to address the Board at this Community Police Oversight Board meeting is 5:00p.m. on August 10, 2020. No person may register to speak during an open microphone period more than once within any 30-day period.
The mission of the Office of Community Police Oversight (OCPO) is to ensure civilian complaints are reviewed impartially to enhance the transparency and trust between the City of Dallas, the Dallas Police Department and the community. To help ensure this accountability, the OCPO will provide functional support and technical assistance to the Community Police Oversight Board (CPOB), formerly known as the Civilian Review Board.
The OCPO will be staffed by a monitor and administrative support staff who will report directly to the City Manager. The monitor will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Provide operative support to the CPOB
- Provide reports to the City Manager to support CPOB
- Conduct investigations as directed by CPOB
- Receive external civilian complaints
- Recommend external complaints for mediation, Internal Affairs investigation or Divisional investigations
- Monitor external Internal Affairs conducted investigations
- Provide timely updates to CPOB at the conclusion of an external and administrative investigation
Community Police Oversight Board Rules of Procedure
Board Rules of Procedure.pdf
the COVID-19 pandemic, the Office of Community Police Oversight will not be
taking in-person complaints. However,
civilians of Dallas can still file complaints with the office. See updated options below.
Making a Complaint
A complaint against a police officer for misconduct may be made in one of several ways:
- Submit a civilian complaint electronically to the OCPO. Click here to access online form.
- Call OCPO. If no one answers, please leave a voicemail message stating you would like to file a complaint. Please include a good call back number to reach you and a member of the OCPO staff will return your call.
- Complete a complaint form at the Dallas Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division.
- Go to any of the seven police stations in the City of Dallas and complete a complaint form.
- Print a Civilian's Complaint form and return it by one of the following ways:
Office of Community Police Oversight
- Mail it to the Office of Community Police Oversight
- Deliver it to the Dallas Police Department Internal Affairs Division or any City of Dallas police station