Autumn signals a return to cooler temperatures, more time outdoors, and preparations. Now is the time to make sure homes and families are ready for the upcoming holidays and winter weather both indoors and out. Check out some tips and tricks for getting your home and family ready for anything.
- Check your emergency supplies. If you don't have an emergency kit, build one. We show you how on our Get Prepared page. Replace any items that are expired or have been used.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for proper function. If needed, replace the batteries.
- Check the seals on doors and windows. Repair or replace weather stripping to prevent drafts and save energy.
- Have fireplaces and chimneys inspected. If needed, have your chimney swept to prevent potential fire hazards.
- Clean your gutters. Leaves and debris build up can damage roofs and homes.
- Inspect your roof for loose shingles and damage.
- Practice ladder safety and proper usage. Fall prevention let you and your family enjoy all seasons.
- Be careful when doing yardwork. Use rakes that are the right length and wear eye and hearing protection. Hydrate and apply sunscreen. It's easy to over-exert when temperatures are moderate.
Keeping your home and family safe and healthy gives everyone the best chance at a fun and active Autumn. Find out more about how to safely prepare your home for emergencies, check out our Get Informed and Get Prepared pages for ways to stay safe.