- Read the Minimum Qualifications listed with the job posting
- Even if your department doesn't have a current opening, apply to get on the register of the position you are interested in.
- List all education and experience when applying, if it is not on your application, we won't know about it…
- Use the designated areas in the application to enter your knowledge and experience – do not rely on the resume that you attach to the application
- Not reading the minimum qualifications or job description
- Not including sufficient information on your application that relates to the position you are applying for (month/year of experience)
- Not updating your application and/or resume
- Assuming that your title/position with the City tells us what you do
- Assuming we already have your information because you've applied before and/or items are in your personnel files
- Assuming that you are automatically on the list again because you were on it once before
- Assuming a qualification for one position automatically qualifies you for another
What Happens After Placed on a Register…
- City employees are eligible for six (6) months; external applicants eligible for six (6) months with no extensions of eligibility.
- Eligible applicants are referred to the hiring authorities upon receipt of an approved requisition to fill a vacancy from the departments
- Hiring departments will set up interviews and make hiring decisions.