There are several ongoing City projects of interest to District 1 residents. First, work is under way on Jefferson Boulevard between Zang Boulevard and Adams Avenue to improve crosswalks, lighting and landscaping.
Additionally, there is the reconstruction of Sylvan Avenue, north of I-30, and the reconfiguration of the Beckley Avenue/Commerce St intersection. Both of these projects are located in adjacent Council District 6 but they are vital routes in and out of north Oak Cliff.
Finally, the Tyler-Polk Two-way Conversion project will change those streets from one-way to two-way and will include updates to traffic signals from Davis St to Twelfth St.
Below is information about the status of each project, as well as links to project plans, as they become available. The status information will be updated on this page each week.
Jefferson Blvd - Lanscaping Plans
Jefferson Blvd - Paving Plans
Sylvan Avenue Reconstruction
Tyler/Polk Two-way Conversion Plans (PDF, 61 MB)
Project Updates - January 9, 2019:
- Project name: Jefferson Boulevard from Zang Boulevard to Adams Avenue (PB12S395)
- Scope of work: Includes enhancing intersections with stamped colored concrete within the crosswalks, irrigation and landscaping within the median and along the corridor, new LED historical pedestrian lighting and cobra head lighting, pavement milling and overlay with 2" of asphalt, restriping and repairing damaged sidewalks.
- Construction cost: $1,953,623
- Construction start: April 24, 2017
- Substantial construction complete: September 2018
Accomplishments for the week of December 29, 2018 to January 4, 2019:
- Project improvements were substantially completed by November 21, 2018, outstanding items currently being scheduled: installation of benches, trash receptacles and bike racks, irrigation system is in place and tested. Revisions to mid-block crossing handrail and pedestrian buttons scheduled.
- Project name: Sylvan Avenue from Fort Worth Avenue to Singleton Boulevard (PB06U802)
- Scope of work: Includes reconstructing Sylvan Avenue to 4 lane divided with bike lanes, with 10-inch thick reinforced concrete pavement, storm drainage, water and wastewater main replacement.
- Construction cost: $7,663,718
- Construction start: August 1, 2017
- Estimated construction complete: Winter 2019
Accomplishments for the week of December 29, 2018 to January 4, 2019
- Continued with underground stormwater piping installation along the west side from Fort worth Avenue to Muncie Avenue;
- Continued with reinforced concrete box culvert at Duluth Street;
- Continued with reinforced concrete box culvert at Muncie Avenue;
- Continued with water and wastewater line installation along west side of Sylvan Avenue from Commerce Street to Singleton Boulevard; and
- Continued with earthwork along west side to obtain subgrade elevation.
Planned tasks for the week of January 5, 2019 to January 11, 2019:
- Commence with water and wastewater line installation along west side of Sylvan Avenue from Commerce Street to Singleton Boulevard;
- Continue with underground stormwater piping installation along the west side from Fort worth Avenue to Muncie Avenue;
- Continue with reinforced concrete box culvert at Duluth Street; and
- Continue with reinforced concrete box culvert at Muncie Avenue;
- Continue with earthwork along west side to obtain subgrade elevation.
Beckley Ave./Commerce St.:
- Project name: North Beckley Avenue at Commerce Street (PB98N972)
- Scope of work: Includes reconstructing North Beckley at Commerce Street, with 11-inch thick reinforced concrete pavement, storm drainage, water/wastewater main replacement, bike lanes, traffic signals, paver crosswalks, and landscaping rain gardens.
- Construction cost: $7,088,767
- Construction start: October 19, 2015
- Substantial construction complete: June 2018
- Rain gardens and landscape planting substantially complete. Irrigation system continued to be installed; and
- Continued improvements at the observation parking area access ramp (i.e. gate and bollards).
Tyler/Polk Two-Way Conversion:
- Project name: Tyler/Polk Two-Way Conversion (PB06P894)
- Scope of work: Converting Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Pembroke Ave. to two–way streets by constructing a traffic roundabout on Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Winston St. and a new traffic signal south of the Tyler/Polk/Page intersection; install new pavement markings and traffic regulatory signs to accommodate the two–way conversion; replace all existing traffic signals on Tyler St. and Polk St. from Davis St. to Twelfth St.; and replace existing water & wastewater facilities under Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Winston St.
- Construction cost: $3,313,600.00 (estimate)
- Construction start: To be determined
- Estimated construction complete: To be determined
- Estimated Design Complete: September 2018