There are several ongoing City projects of interest to District 1 residents. First, there is the reconstruction of Sylvan Avenue, north of I-30. This project is located in adjacent Council District 6, but affects a vital route in and out of north Oak Cliff.
The Tyler-Polk Two-way Conversion project will change those streets from one-way to two-way and will include updates to traffic signals from Davis St to Twelfth St.
The West Davis project will partially reconstruct the street while improving pedestrian features between North Clinton Ave and Cedar Hill Ave.
Finally, Fort Worth Avenue from Sylvan Ave to W Commerce St will include pedestrian improvements, the addition of bike lanes and partial reconstruction of the street.
Below is information about the status of each project, as well as links to select project plans. The status information will be updated on this page each week.
Sylvan Avenue Reconstruction
Tyler/Polk Two-way Conversion Plans (PDF, 61 MB)
Project Updates - January 20, 2021:
- Tyler/Polk Two-Way Conversion:
- Project name: Tyler/Polk Two-Way Conversion (PB06P894)
- Scope of work: Converting Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Pembroke Ave. to two–way streets by constructing a traffic roundabout on Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Winston St. and a new traffic signal south of the Tyler/Polk/Page intersection; install new pavement markings and traffic regulatory signs to accommodate the two–way conversion; replace all existing traffic signals on Tyler St. and Polk St. from Davis St. to Twelfth St.; and replace existing water & wastewater facilities under Tyler St. and Polk St. from Canty St. to Winston St.
- Construction cost: $6,442,097
- Construction start: February 24, 2020
- Estimated construction complete: June 2021
- Design Completed: February 2019
- Advertisement: March 6, 13 & 20, 2019
- Opened Bids: April 5, 2019
- Main activities performed last week and planned activities for next week :
- Reinstall the school zone flasher
- Adjusting existing sliding gates for the new driveway approaches
- Placed cement slurry at the intersection of Pembroke Ave. intersection
- Installed cement slurry on the left lane of the northbound lanes of Tyler St.
- Install barrier free ramps at Jefferson Blvd. and Polk St.
- Placed curb, gutter, sidewalk, and ramp on the southwest corner of Jefferson Blvd. and Polk St.
- West Davis Street:
- Project name: West Davis Street from North Clinton Avenue to Cedar Hill Avenue (PB12S405)
- Scope of work: Includes partially reconstructing West Davis Street from North Clinton Avenue to Cedar Hill Avenue, with 10-inch thick reinforced concrete pavement and 2-inch asphalt overlay, pavement markings, on-street parking, wider sidewalks, barrier free ramps, LED pedestrian lighting, trees, and stormwater inlet replacement.
- Construction cost: $3,016, 209.50
- Construction start: March 18, 2019
- Estimated construction complete: April 2020 (Substantially Complete)
Pedestrian light pole installation was completed, energization coordination with Oncor is underway. Construction crew is completing final outstanding work along the new sidewalk between North Clinton Avenue and Cedar Hill Avenue, and removing the on-street parking spot on the north side between North Clinton Avenue and North Winnetka Avenue.
- Fort Worth Avenue:
- Project name: Fort Worth Avenue from Sylvan Avenue to West Commerce Street (PB06P838)
- Scope of work: Includes reconstructing Fort Worth Avenue from Sylvan Avenue West Commerce Street to 4 lane divided with bike lanes, with 11-inch thick reinforced concrete pavement, storm drainage, water and wastewater main replacement, new traffic signal at Fort Worth Avenue and Sylvan Avenue, pavement markings, wider sidewalks, barrier free ramps, LED street lighting, LED pedestrian lighting, trees.
- Construction cost: $4,991,975.50
- Construction start: July 2019
- Estimated construction complete: February 2021
Accomplishments for the week of January 13, 2021 to January 19, 2021:
- Continued with traffic signal installation at Fort Worth Avenue and Sylvan Avenue;
- The waterline segment that was recently installed in the southern sector of the Sylvan Avenue intersection passed the testing required prior to tie-in; and
- Continued with final work along edge of north parkway properties.
Planned tasks for the week of January 20, 2021 to January 26, 2021:
- Continue with traffic signal installation at Fort Worth Avenue and Sylvan Avenue;
- The waterline segment that was recently installed in the southern sector of the Sylvan Avenue intersection will be connected to the distribution water main
- New fire hydrant will be placed into service at the northwest corner of this intersection;
- Continue with utility (water improvements) subcontractor at Sylvan Avenue intersection on the next waterline segment that requires upgrade at this intersection
- Commence with final paving at the quadrant where the recently waterline segment was placed in service; and
- Continue with final work along edge Continue with final work along edge of north parkway properties.