Community Development

​Office of Budget

​Frequently Asked Questions

​What are the responsibilities of the Office of Budget Grant Administration Division?

The Grant Administration Division takes the lead in developing the City's Five-Year Consolidated Plan, Annual Action Plan/Budget, and Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER). The Division has the responsibility for oversight and monitoring the CDBG, HOME, ESG, and HOPWA grant fund programs the City receive from HUD.  This Division is responsible for ensuring that HUD and other grant funds are administered efficiently, effectively, and in compliance with applicable laws. The Division also serves as the City’s liaison to various Federal agencies from whom the City receives grant funding.

What is the Consolidated Plan?

The Consolidated Plan is a strategic planning document developed to identify the needs of the Dallas community; prioritizes identified community needs; describes what the plans are to address the identified needs; and proposes various resources that may be used to address needs that have been identified. Dallas is now in year four of the 5-year Consolidated Plan.  In order to receive CDBG, HOME, ESG and HOPWA funds from HUD, the City must have a Consolidated Plan. 

Where may I find the City of Dallas Action Plans?

 Annual Action Plans can be viewed and downloaded on the Office of Budget - Grant Administration web page, on the left navigational panel. A hard copy of the Action Plan is available by contacting staff at 214-670-4550 or email​

Where may I find the Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report (CAPER)?

The CAPER can be viewed and downloaded on the Office of Budget - Grant Administrtion web page, on the left navigational panel. A hard copy of the CAPER is available by contacting staff at 214-670-4550 or email

How can my organization apply for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?​

There is no CDBG application process. Funds cannot be awarded directly to an organization. To receive CDBG funds, organizations must compete in a publicly advertised solicitation process. To receive CDBG funds, organizations must compete in a publicly advertised solicitation process. The Organizations Desiring to Work with the City of Dallas​ document provides further information on the process.

If an organization is proposing a program not currently included in the CDBG Budget, the organization may only recommend concepts (i.e. programs or services) for funding that is based on an un-served or under-served need in the community. Requests for funding to meet an identified need in the community may be made by appearing in person before the Community Development Commission (CDC) at their monthly meetings during the Public Speakers period of the agenda. Regular meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month (except July) at City Hall, 1500 Marilla St. – Room 6ES, Dallas, TX, 75201 at 6:00 p.m.

The Office of Budget - Grant Administration Division, in coordination with the CDC, provides assistance to citizens and organizations seeking HUD funds.

​​How can I or my organization become a vendor?

​In order to do business with the City of Dallas, you must be a registered vendor. To become a vendor, you may register on-line at or contact the Business Development & Procurement Services directly at (214) 670-3326.

To view open bids, the City must have an organization email address on file, as a vendor. Email addresses can be provided to the City by organizations either registering as a new vendor or by re-registering as an existing vendor at

For additional information on registering as a vendor, please contact  Business Development & Procurement Services .​

How can I or my organization receive a 501(c)(3) status?

​​​ - Visit

- Call IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities Account Services at (877)829-5500 (toll-free)

How can I participate in the Consolidated Plan budget development process?

​The budget development process begins in January with Neighborhood Public Hearings. During the month of January, citizens may appear in person at any of the public hearings and provide verbal comments.  Citizen Comment Forms are also available at all Public Hearing locations and online for citizens to provide input into the proposed use of funds.  

Comment Forms must be submitted either in-person, online, or mailed and postmarked by the deadline date in order to be considered during each annual budget development process.

What is the Community Development Commission?

The Community Development Commission (CDC) is a 15-member City Council appointed advisory board. Each Council member appoints a commissioner to represent his/her respected Council District and the Mayor has representative at-large. The purpose of the CDC is to foster citizen participation and provide advice and recommendations to the City Manager and City Council on the use of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and other Consolidated Plan funds which will improve the lives and living environments of low and moderate income persons.


What is Citywide - Grant Administration?

​The Citywide section of the Grants Administration Division is responsible for financial and compliance monitoring of non-Consolidated Plan funds. This section is responsible for ensuring grant funds are administered efficiently, effectively, and in compliance with local, state and federal applicable laws. In addition, this unit serves as the City’s liaison to various agencies from which the City receives grant funding. 


What are Citywide  grants?

Grants that are awarded to the City as a result of an application process for funds, goods, services, or other assistance. These grants are subject to terms agreed upon in an executed grant agreement, cooperative agreement, or other legally binding contract and do not include HUD Consolidated Plan grants.



A public accessible, searchable website mandated by the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 to give the American public access to information on how their tax dollars are spent.  Federal grants that the City of Dallas receives are accessible at​