Controller's Office

Unclaimed Property​

​The Dallas City Controller's Office is attempting to locate the rightful owners of unclaimed cash. These are people and businesses that have either failed to request or for whom the city may have incomplete or inaccurate information so that the city may connect them with money that is owed to them. Perhaps they forgot to pick up a water deposit refund, a payroll or vendor check or money from other transactions with the City of Dallas.

Several thousand names are on the list. Each individual or company is owed $100 or less. In accordance with State Law, any amount over $100 dollars is sent to the State Comptroller where it is held until claimed.

The City of Dallas would love to connect the rightful owners with the money that belongs to them. It is not the City's cash to keep. We need your help in making this happen.

Click below to find out if your name is on the list.

Steps to claim listed property:

  • Click on the first link below to view list.
  • Find name on our unclaimed property database.
  • Fill-out and send in form and supporting documentation establishing your right to receive the property.

Review a list of unclaimed funds of $100.00 or less owed by the City of Dallas.

  • City of Dallas Unclaimed Funds Listings
    (Files are Adobe PDFs; use Control F - Ctrl+F - to aid in your search.)

State of Texas Database - Search by name. Companies as well as municipalities send their abandoned property to the state as required.

What to do if you’ve found property on our list:

If you find your name or are an interested party of someone named on the unclaimed property list, please print out and submit the form available below to claim your funds.

Before sending in form, remember to:

  1. Answer all questions and fill-in all blanks.
  2. Supply photocopies of required documentation.
  3. Sign and date form.

If questions arise while processing your claim, a Controller’s Office employee will contact you by phone or letter.

Did you find your name and don’t know what the money is for?

Many of the names on our list are from checks returned to the city as undeliverable. Most of these are for returned water and sewer account deposit refunds that were mailed after the account holder moved without noting a forwarding address. Please provide old addresses, which we can use to match claimant name with our records.

Why do we ask for proof of your social Security Number?

We cannot require you send us this number but it might be the only way we can match your name to a water and sewer account. To the extent provided by law, the Social Security number provided is confidential.

Are you unable to see the claim forms?

To view the listed claim forms you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have this free program click here: Download Adobe Acrobat to obtain it.

Is there a charge for making or receiving a claim?

There is no charge to make a claim.

What is the maximum fee that can be charged by a search firm?

Texas law limits the fee charged by all search firms or private investigators that assist owners in locating and claiming abandoned property to no more than 10% of the amount recovered.

Unclaimed Property Forms (Adobe PDF):