Bicyclist Etiquette: How to Ride with Cars
Bicyclists on public roadways assume all
the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers, and are
subject to the same state laws and local ordinances. For everyone's
safety observe these bicycling rules:
- Ride with traffic.
- Stop at all stop signs and red lights.
- Use lights and reflectors at night.
- Ride as near to the right as safely possible.
- Use hand signals to indicate your intention to drivers.
- Follow lane and highway markings. As if you were a vehicle, ride single file.
- Don't block the road by riding two bikes abreast.
- Honor others' right of way.
- Be predictable; ride in a straight line even with parked cars.
- Wear a helmet
- Make eye contact with drivers to make sure they see you.
Click here for driver etiquette.