What does the Program require?
The Non-Owner Occupied Rental Program requires that, effective February 1, 2010, owners of occupied rental property to register annually and pay a $17 fee per rental property.
What kinds of properties are included in the program?
This rental program is for single family or multi-tenant homes that are either leased or rented and occupied by someone other than the owner of the property. The renewal fee for a certificate of registraion for a property is $0 if the property was free of any confirmed structural code violations during the previous registration period.
Owners who have three or more properties at a multi-tenant structure should instead register through the Multi-Tenant Registration Program
What are the penalties for failure to register an occupied rental property?
Notices of violation will be issued to property owners for any rental property found in violation of the registration requirement. These notices will provide time to submit the registration application and payment.
Citations will be issued for failure to comply and fines will range from $200-$2000.
How can I get an application to register my rental/lease property?
You may obtain an application with the attached requirements and forms by going to the City of Dallas website at www.dallascityhall.com or by contacting the City of Dallas Code Compliance office at (214) 671-2791.
Are there any exemptions, additional requirements or additional fees?
- The renewal fee for a certificate of registration for a property is $0 if the property was free of any confirmed structural code violations during the previous registration period.
- There is a $19 fee charged to the owner when a property is found or reported with a structural violation. These fees will be charged if a second or any subsequent re-inspection is required for failure to comply within 45 days.
Is an inspection of my property required?
Inspection is not required. The property may be inspected at any time during the registration period if a code violation is reported to the City or identified by code inspectors.
What is the expiration date of the registration?
- Upon application, the registration date will be the date of annual renewal.
- For example, if the property is registered on February 1, 2010 the expiration date will be January 31, 2011.
Will I have to fill out the entire registration application every year?
Yes, a registration application is required annually for each property, regardless of any changes in the required information.
What are the goals of this program?
- To facilitate neighborhood stabilization.
- Foster clean and safe rental properties without diminishing the availability and affordability.