General Information for the Public
Information for Builders Seeking to Purchase Land Bank Lots
On June 18, 2003, Governor Perry signed the Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program Act (the "Act"). The Act allows the governing body of a municipality to adopt an Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program ("land bank") in which the officer charged with selling real property ordered sold pursuant to foreclosure of a tax lien may sell certain eligible real property by private sale to a land bank for the purpose of developing affordable housing. Subsequently, on January 28, 2004, by Resolution No. 04-0458, the City of Dallas designated the DHADC as the entity to administer its land bank program for the purpose of acquiring, holding and transferring unimproved real property pursuant to Subtitle A, Title 12, Local Government Code, Chapter 379C. Included in the 2004 Council Resolution was also the adoption of the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws for the DHADC, later amended by Resolution No. 11-3230 on December 14, 2011, and Council Resolution 18-1827 on September 12, 2018.
For a parcel to be eligible for sale to the DHADC:
- the market value of the property as specified in the judgment of foreclosure must be less than the total amount due under the judgment, including all taxes, penalties, and interest, plus the value of nontax liens held by a taxing unit and awarded by the judgment, court costs, and the cost of the sale;
- the parcel of land must be not improved with a habitable building or buildings or an uninhabitable building or buildings that are occupied as a residence by an owner or tenant who is legally entitled to occupy the building or buildings; and
- the parcel of land must have delinquent taxes on the property for a total of at least five years as reported by Dallas County.
Should you have any questions on the Land Bank, please email us at email@example.com.
DHADC Bylaws (Amendments adopted by Dallas City Council 9/12/18)
DHADC Articles of Incorporation (2005 amendment)
DHADC Articles of Incorporation (2004 amendment)
November 15, 2018 DHADC Board of Directors Meeting Agenda
Builders who are interested in purchasing a lot or lots from the Land Bank should following these steps:
- Review the current inventory of lots to determine if the Land Bank owns lots that you would like to purchase for the purpose of developing affordable housing or a commercial use approved by the Land Bank.
- Land Bank Lot Inventory
- Review the Land Bank application, which includes information about the purpose of the Land Bank and the statutes that govern its operation.
- Land Bank Application (Last updated 11/19/2018)
- Watch the Land Bank application training power point.
- Land Bank Application Training Power Point
- Review the submission dates for Land Bank proposals. The Land Bank accepts proposals on a rolling basis. The dates listed under the "Application Submission Dates" column are the dates by which you must submit your proposal if you would like it to be considered at the next upcoming DHADC board meeting.
- Submission dates for Land Bank proposals
- Download the Land Bank Application Folder Structure. This is a zip file that contains the folders where you must save the documents and information required in the Land Bank application. When you are ready to submit your proposal, save your information on a thumb drive and submit it to the Land Bank in accordance with the submission instructions included in the Land Bank application. If you do not organize your proposal using the folder structure, your proposal will not be reviewed.
- Land Bank Application--Folder Structure
- Download the Land Bank Application form. This form serves two purposes: (1) to help guide you through the application process by highlighting information that must be included in your proposal and (2) to identify the specific folders where required information must be saved.
- Land Bank Application Form
Each year, the Land Bank develops a plan that sets forth the Land Bank's acquisition and sales strategy. Members of the public are invited to review and provide feedback on the annual plan during a 60-day public comment period.
The Dallas City Council will hold a public hearing on January 9, 2019 no earlier than 6:00 p.m. at Dallas City Hall to receive final comments on the proposed 2018-2019 City of Dallas Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program Plan. The full public notice and proposed plan can be accessed by following the links below:
Notice of Public Hearing on 2018-2019 Dallas Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program Annual Plan
Proposed 2018-2019 Dallas Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program Annual Plan
December 3, 2018 briefing to the Economic Development & Housing Council Committee regarding the Proposed 2018-2019 Dallas Urban Land Bank Demonstration Program Annual Plan
Map of Potential Land Bank Lots Listed in Attachment C
Land Bank - FAQs (will be posted soon)