1700 Commerce Street
The Allen Building was constructed in 1926 and originally built as a hotel by Dallas County Judge Archibald C. Allen and the Allen Investment Company. The primary entrance on Ervay Street consists of two round arches that extend to the second floor and are flanked by three decorative shields. The use of contrasting materials visually divides the building into three parts - the base floors (1-4), the shaft (5-17), and capital (18th floor) - and was typical of the Commercial Style of architecture.
Designations: Dallas LandmarkFurther Research:Allen Building Landmark Nomination Form