Good Samaritan Hospital
The Good Samaritan Hospital in South Dallas is a Prairie School style foursquare house that was built in 1920. The hospital began as a small community-centered hospital that was owned and operated by German immigrant Martha Schultze. The hospital functioned primarily as a birthing clinic. Many of the patients were unwed charity case patients, although wealthy unwed mothers were also helped here. The "condition" of the patients were kept secret. Hundreds of births occured in this hospital until its close in 1945, and the official numbers do not include births that resulted in adoptions. The building then became a residential hotel for African Americans in the early 1950s.
Designations: Dallas Landmark (2012), State Historic Marker Program (2008)