Sante Fe Building #1
1114 Commerce Street
With construction beginning in 1924, The Santa Fe Building #1 was designed by Dallas architect Lloyd R. Whitson as the headquarters for the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad. This is the anchor of a massive four structure complex that was connected by underground railroad tunnels built to centralize the three railroad's transfer and warehouse operations. While allowing the transfer operations to remain in the heart of the city, the underground tunnels removed the troublesome network of surface tracks that hindered downtown traffic.
Designations: Dallas Landmark (1989), National Register of Historic Places