Wheatley Place Historic District
Wheatley Place Historic District is significant as one of the first and most successful residential subdivisions developed specifically for black citizens in Dallas, making it an important part of Dallas’ suburban development. The origin of Wheatley Place is closely associated with two older black communities – the Prairie, a post-Civil War black farming community to the north of the District; and Queen City, a turn-of-the-century community to the west. Development of Wheatley Place started in 1916 when the Myrtle Street streetcar reached that section of South Dallas, making it a viable suburb for residents to live in while commuting downtown for work.
Designations: Dallas Landmark District (2000), National Register of Historic Places.