Public Works

​Engineering Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get Crime Watch signs for my neighborhood?​

Generally, the neighborhood must organize a Crime Watch Program with the help of a police officer who will explain the procedure at a neighborhood meeting. The neighborhood will decide the preliminary boundaries and will send a "Request for Neighborhood Watch Sign" form to Transportation Engineering through the Police Department. The form will have the signatures of the Neighborhood Block Watch Committee Chairman and the Dallas Police Officer working with the Community Services Division handling the case. It will also include a map outlining the area in question which will be field-checked by an engineer.

After the request is approved, the requestor will be responsible for buying and delivering the signs to the Field Operations Office at 3204 Canton. Field operations will install the signs at no charge.

How can I request guardrails be installed?

Guardrails should be installed only when the installation would be expected to reduce the severity of an accident involving vehicles leaving the street. They should be used to redirect vehicles to the roadway, not necessarily to protect private property.

If a citizen thinks a location qualifies for a guardrail, he/she should request a study. An engineer will make a site visit and take several items into consideration before reaching a decision on installation. Such items include researching the location to determine if the other measures such as signs or marking upgrades or street repairs could solve the problem. Also, the engineer has to determine if there is sufficient length available to make a guardrail practical.

If a decision is made to recommend a guardrail, Transportation makes a request for installation

How can I request Parking restrictions be added/removed from my street?

By ordinance, "No Parking" signs are handled on a petition basis. In a residential area, the citizen must have a petition signed by 80% of affected citizens in the same block, on the same side of the street, with 51% being in favor of the change. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee and a fee of $25 per sign installed/removed.

In a commercial area, the citizen should folllow the above procedure. However, no fees are assessed.

In both cases, the engineer will make a site visit to review the change. Two major considerations are sight distance and determining if the street is wide enough with parking to allow emergency vehicle access.

How can I request a new stop sign be installed?

Upon receipt of the request, an engineer will perform a warrant study. The study includes a review of accident history, sight distance, traffic volumes, major street speeds, neighborhood characteristics, and cross-street delays. Stop signs are not used as speed control. Studies normally take 6-8 weeks.

How can I request a new school zone be installed?​

The request should come to Transportation from the school's Youth Action Center or through the school's principal. Engineering staff will study the location and determine traffic counts, speed of traffic during drop-off and pick-up time at the school, and the number of students crossing.

How can I get the centerline, crosswalk or lane lines on a street repainted?

Citizens should contact 311 to initiate a request.

If the road in question is not currently scheduled, staff will make a site visit to determine if striping is necessary.

What is the process for requesting installation of new traffic signals?

Upon receipt of a request for a traffic signal installation, a signal warrant study is performed to determine if a signal is justified. Assigning right-of-way is the primary purpose for a traffic signal; consequently, the study focuses primarily on the amount of traffic using the intersection. Other factors considered include the number of pedestrians using the intersection, the number of reported accidents that would be susceptible to correction by signal control and vehicle speeds.

Results of the signal warrant study are generally available in 10 to 12 weeks from the date of the initial request. If the signal is justified, construction is scheduled as funds become available.

Who do I need to see about getting a street light repaired or a new one installed?​

All street lights in the City of Dallas are installed and maintained by Oncor. Please contact their customer service department at (888) 313-4747 or for street light repairs. Call 311 or the City of Dallas street lighting section at (214) 670-6904 to request a new light.​​