Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||Dallas Water Utilities|
|Title||East Dallas Water Supply Company|
|Quantity||3 linear inches|
|Abstract||Nineteenth Century stocks and bonds from East Dallas Water Supply Company.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
The former City of East Dallas was demarcated by the present-day Central Expressway to the west, Mockingbird Lane to the north, Loop 12 to the east, and the state fairgrounds to the south. The first families settled there in the 1860s, and the city itself was incorporated on September 9, 1882, on a site of 1,400 acres. In 1886, a boom occurred in East Dallas when the Texas State Fair and Dallas Exposition at Fair Park opened, just outside the East Dallas city limits. In the late 1880s, the city reached a population of 6,000. East Dallas was annexed to Dallas on January 1, 1890.
The East Dallas Water Supply Company was established in 1886 on Mill Creek by W.C. “Bud” Connor, future mayor of Dallas, who previously built the City of Dallas’ water system in 1876. The East Dallas Water Supply Company offices were on Floyd Street, Block 75, and the Company’s property included wells, pumps, storage tanks, and mains. After annexation, the privately owned water company was sold to the City of Dallas for $11,000.00.
The collection contains stock certificates, bond certificates, and correspondence relating to the City of East Dallas, and signatures by prominent Dallas figures, such as Thomas L. Marsalis, William H. Gaston, James B. Simpson, and W.C. Connor.
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection has oversized materials.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
East Dallas Water Supply Company, 1886-1890 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Dallas Water UtilitiesEast Dallas (Dallas, Tex.) -- History
Water-supply -- TEXAS -- DALLAS
|1||1||Letter to T. J. Oliver from W. B. Wright, September 20, 1890|
| ||2||East Dallas Water Supply Company stock certificates, 1886|
| ||3||East Dallas Water Supply Company stock certificates, 1886|
| ||4||East Dallas Water Supply Company stock certificates, 1886|
| ||5||East Dallas Water Supply Company stock certificates, 1886|
| ||6||Original box, 1890|
East Dallas Water Supply Company bond certificates, 1886
[Bond certificates 1-8, 9-18, 20-48, 50-60. OS.]