Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||City of Dallas|
|Title||Gill Well Bath House Agreement|
|Quantity||0.25 linear inches|
|Abstract||Agreement between the City of Dallas and James G. Mills concerning the use of natural hot spring water for commercial purposes.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a copy of an agreement between the City of Dallas and James G. Mills concerning the use of natural hot spring water for commercial purposes.
In 1903, Alderman C.A. Gill authorized the drilling of a test well in Oak Cliff to determine if artesian water could supply the city's needs. The idea proved unfeasible, but in 1905 Dr. James G. Mills entered into an agreement with the city to use the "Gill Well" water from the hot mineral springs to develop a bath house complex similar to those found in Hot Springs, Arkansas. According to the agreement, Mills was expected to build a bath house, sanitarium, or pagoda, as well as public fountains that would allow citizens to remove water from the site free of charge.
The baths, pools, and fountains, built at Reverchon Park, operated until the 1930s when minerals clogged the pipes and forced the closure of the site. The well was plugged, and the area is now covered by a manhole cover in the middle of Oak Lawn Avenue.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Gill Well Bath House Agreement, 1905 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
| 1|| 1||Agreement between City of Dallas and James Mills regarding Gill Well, 1905|