Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||Department of Public Works and Transportation|
|Title||Municipal Auditorium Specifications|
|Quantity||1/2 linear inch|
|Abstract||Typescript bid specifications.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
The Municipal Auditorium, better known as the Fair Park Music Hall, replaced the 1910 Coliseum built by the City of Dallas on the Texas state fairgrounds. In 1925, the City of Dallas finished construction of a 3,500 seat music hall located to the south of the Parry Avenue entrance. The building, designed by the Dallas firm of Lang and Witchell, was the winning entry in a limited design competition sponsored the previous year. Their design incorporated Spanish Colonial Revival detailing, primarily in the dominant square towers on the building's north side and in the paired octagonal towers on the east and west facades. For the 1936 Texas Centennial, the Music Hall was the only existing building not extensively altered; its conversion to display General Motors automobiles required interior modifications only. In 1972, the building was renovated and expanded by Jarvis Putty Jarvis.
The collection consists of Lang and Witchell’s four typescript submitted proposal specifications for general, electrical, plumbing, scenery, and stage equipment, all dated 1938.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Municipal Auditorium Specifications, 1938 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Fair Park Music Hall, Dallas
|1||1||Municipal Auditorium contract specifications, 1938|