Municipal Archives


City Logos, 1972-1985

Collection 1991-078

Overview

Repository​Dallas Municipal Archives
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
CreatorCity of Dallas
TitleCity Logos
Dates1972-1985
Quantity2.0 linear inches
AbstractCorrespondence, memoranda, photocopies, legal documents, reports, and newspaper clippings relating to the use of City of Dallas logos and copyright and trademark issues​.
Identification1991-078
Language​​Records are in English

Scope and Contents 

​Collection consists of correspondence, memoranda, photocopies, legal documents, reports, and newspaper clippings relating to the use of City of Dallas logos (such as the City seal) and accompanying copyright and trademark issues.

Authority to use a corporate seal is established in city charters, granted by the State of Texas. The earliest known City of Dallas authority to use a corporate seal is the 1871 Dallas City Charter when the Dallas City Council authorized the mayor to procure a seal. Changes to the imprint and design of the seal are evident on municipal bond certificates. The Municipal Bond Certificate Collection, 1874-1972, reveals design changes in 1881 and 1904. The seal design of 1904 was incorporated in the City Code in 1941 and is still used today. Slight variations of the seal appear, usually in printed form, throughout the City's history. Most notable variations appear on covers of annual reports, the center of the official city flag, and on the outside of City Hall, 1500 Marilla Street.

The "D" logo used on City of Dallas documents, signage, and vehicles first appeared as part of the 1972-73 annual budget presentation on August 10, 1972. On September 19, 1972, the logo was registered as a trademark in accordance with the Texas Trademark Statute. The logo, a blue capital letter "D" with a green stylized tree inside it, is meant to be simple, uncluttered and modern. The 'tree' is meant to symbolize the quality of living in Dallas, and also to project a feeling of greenery, growth and concern for the environment. Due to the expense of dual color printing, the logo may appear with both symbols in blue or black. The logo was designed for the City by Crawford Dunn and Associates of Dallas. The logo does not replace the official corporate seal. 

Chapter 31, Section 23 of the Dallas City Code prohibits the use of the official flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge or other insignia of the city or a department of the city or a facsimile of the flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge of other insignia of the city or a department of the city without written authorization from the city manager (Ordinance 14971).

Organization

The collection is arranged by subject.

Access​

Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives.  All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.

Citation

City Logos, 1972-1985 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives

Related Material

None

Index Terms

City Government -- Texas -- History
Dallas -- Texas -- History

Container List​

BoxFolderTitle, Date
11The Even Greater Dallas Coloring Book, 1981
2American Management Systems, Inc. use of Dallas logo, 1985
3Use of city sea​l and registering trademarks, 1980-1983
4
Use of logos by City of Dallas departments, 1980-1985
5
Copyright infringement and landmark/trademark registration, 1978-1983
6Service mark, landmark and trademark registration, 1972-1983
7Newspaper clippings on city symbols, 1973-1980 [photocopies]
​8​Logo, 1972