|Repository||Dallas Municipal Archives|
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||City of Dallas Department of Housing and Urban Rehabilitation and the Department of Urban Planning |
|Title||City of Dallas Sign Manuals|
|Quantity||1 linear inch|
|Abstract||Manuals detailing regulations for erection of private signs within the city, 1978-1983.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Contents
An adjunct to Chapter 41 of the Dallas City Code, the manuals provide standards for the erection and maintenance of private signs within the City of Dallas and cover the years 1978, 1980, and 1983.
The City of Dallas has had zoning and planning policy making bodies as early as 1916 but an actual board, the City Plan Commission, was not created until 1919. As established in the City Charter, the Commission is responsible for making recommendations to the City Council regarding planning and zoning matters, and for administering portions of the Texas Local Government Code regarding the platting and recording of subdivisions and additions.
Early planning was coordinated through the Commission and the City Engineer, and a Department of City Planning was created in 1945. Departmental organization changed many times between the 1950s and the 1990s (including the Department of Urban Planning), and in October 2002 the Dallas City Council created a Development Services Department. The department provides permit and plan review, approval and inspection services for private development.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
City of Dallas Sign Manuals, 1978-1983 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History