Dallas Municipal Archives|
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
City of Dallas |
City Hall - Main Street Land Abstracts |
1881-1914, 1954 |
5 linear inches |
Abstracts of title and related documents for City of Dallas Block 126|
Records are in English|
Scope and Contents
Collection documents the early ownership history of the parcel of land on Main Street, Dallas, Texas, later owned by the City of Dallas. The land is now mostly occupied by the Municipal Building, which served as Dallas' city hall from 1914 to 1978. The block, bounded by Harwood, Main, Commerce, and Pearl Streets was made up of plots owned by a number of individuals, including Christopher Columbus Slaughter, Eliza Tice, E.H. McIntyre, and others. Buildings on the northeast side of the lot facing Pearl Street are still privately owned.
The Municipal Building, a city landmark built in 1914, served as Dallas City Hall until the opening of a new facility in 1978. Additionally, this was the site of the Dallas jail facility. In 1963, Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald in the underground garage of this building.
The collection is arranged in chronological order.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Restrictions: Photocopying available on item-by-item basis due to fragile condition of documents.
City Hall - Main Street Land Abstracts, 1881-1914, 1954 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Index TermsDallas -- Texas -- History
Real estate business -- Dallas -- Texas -- HistoryReal property -- United States
Detailed Description of the Collection
|1||1||Abstract of Title to Lot 1 in Block 126 City of Dallas, for A. L. Hodge, 1881 [traces back to Grigsby League]|
| ||2||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126-32 according to Murphy and Bolanz official map of Dallas, for Hodge and Hoya, 1888|
| ||3||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126, for Gillespie Cullum, 1902|
| ||4||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 32/126, for Gillespie Cullum, 1902|
| ||5||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126 City of Dallas, for Aldredge Knight, 1906|
| ||6||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126 City of Dallas, for H. & Kendall, 1908|
| ||7||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126 City of Dallas, for Crotty & Miller, 1910|
| ||8||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126 City of Dallas, for H. M. Thetford, 1910|
| ||9||Abstract of Title to Part of Block 126/32 City of Dallas, compiled for Alfred Salinger, 1954|
| ||10||Vendor's Lien Note, Lien holder Horace Lincoln, 1906|
| ||11||Letter to George W. Loudermilk from Cockrell & Gray, January 9, 1909|
| ||12||Sale of Property Contract to John Saner by H. M. Thetford, agent for C. J. Sorrells, 1910|
| ||13||Remittance of Taxes, City of Dallas paid by C. J. Sorrells for Block 126 Main Street, 1910|
| ||14||Letter to Herbert Marcus, et. al from Alex Weisberg, January 25, 1910|
| ||15||Warranty Deed, Theo Marcus to C. J. Sorrells, 1910|
| ||16||Warranty Deed, C. J. Sorrells to John Saner, 1910|
| ||17||Vendor's Lien Note Paid, Lien holder George Loudermilk loan to Theo Marcus, 1910|
| ||18||Release of Lien for Paving, 1911|
| ||19||Release of Vendor's Lien, by Lien holder George Loudermilk to Theo Marcus, 1914|
| ||20||Original Pocket Folder|