Dallas Municipal Archives|
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
Creator||Dallas Water Utilities |
Title||Municipal Water Reservoirs in Denton County |
Quantity||Four linear inches |
Abstract||Contracts for Dallas municipal reservoirs of Denton County.|
Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Garza Dam, also known as the Lake Dallas Dam, is now a part of Lewisville Lake, which is owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District; its purpose is to control potential flood waters originating within the Elm Fork (Trinity River) drainage basin. The resulting reservoir also served as the City of Dallas’ primary water supply for about thirty years. The dam is significant in city history because it successfully met water supply needs for a population that more than doubled between 1920 and 1930.
Named for the village of Garza, Texas, the dam’s five million dollar construction cost was paid through a 1923 bond election. The dam was designed by the Dallas firm of Nagle and Thompson and the winning bid was awarded to the W. E. Callahan Construction Company of Dallas; work commenced in October, 1924 and ended in May 1927. The completed dam was 11,000 feet long and 80 feet high and at the time of its first operation it impounded about 63 billion gallons of water. It was extensively documented in written and photographic studies by the Dallas Waterworks. Garza Dam was breached in 1957 to create the new lake, known then as Garza-Little Elm Reservoir and renamed Lewisville Lake. The dam was located between what is now the City of Hickory Creek and the City of Lakewood Village.
Collection consists of documents between the City of Dallas and multiple legal, land acquisition, and bidding companies for municipal water reservoirs and reservoir-related projects in Denton County, including Garza Dam Reservoir and the Fish Trap Road Causeway.
The collection is arranged by subject.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Municipal Water Reservoirs in Denton County, 1922-1928 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Dallas (Tex.). Water Utilities Dept. -- History
Flood dams and reservoirs -- Texas
|1||1||Reservoir contracts with Attorneys Sullivan, Speer & Minor, 1924 and 1928|
| ||2||Municipal water reservoir of Denton County. Real Estate Company Thomas and Houston, 1924 and 1928|
| ||3||Municipal water reservoir of Denton County land acquisition, 1924|
| ||4||Municipal water reservoir of Denton County land acquisition, 1925|
| ||5||Fish Trap Road Causeway contracts, May and July, 1925; Reservoir construction bid from John F Hamer, May, 1925; Reservoir construction bid from Austin Bridge Company, May 1925; Reservoir construction bid from General Construction Company, May 1925; Reservoir construction bid from T. A. Griffin, May, 1925|
| ||6||W. E. Callahan Construction Company Garza Reservoir Dam contract, 1924; City of Dallas tabulation of bids for Garza Reservoir Dam, August, 1924; Bid advertisement correspondence with Mayor Louis Blaylock, 1924|
| ||7||W. E. Callahan Construction Company contract for reservoir construction, 1926-27|
| ||8||State of Texas construction permit for W. E. Callahan Construction Company, 1922|