Scope and Content
Collection consists of a proposal for a comprehensive marketing feasibility and master plan design for the Dallas Convention Center submitted to the city by Touche Ross in 1986. The proposed master plan design was expected to service the center's needs through 1995.
The original Dallas Memorial Auditorium, renamed the Dallas Convention Center (DCC) during its first expansion in 1973, was designed by George Leighton Dahl in 1957. The dome is supported by one column. It holds approximately 10,000 seats. The DCC was expanded once in the 1980s and once again in the 1990s, to accommodate a Dallas Area Rapid Transit terminal underneath the facility. The most recent expansion was completed in 2002.
The DCC is over 2,000,000 square feet in size and contains over 1,000,000 square feet of exhibit space. The largest contiguous exhibit-space in the structure is 726,726 square feet. A 203,000-square-foot column-free exhibit hall in the center is the largest of its kind in the United States. The east side of the structure contains the original element of the Dallas Memorial Auditorium. The complex also houses a 1,740-person theater, 105 meeting rooms, and two ballrooms. Furthermore, a heliport/vertiport sits atop the structure. In May 2009, voters approved construction of the Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel, a 1,000 room hotel that is attached to the DCC. It opened in late 2011.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Dallas Convention Center Master Plan Proposal, 1986 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Convention facilities -- United States -- Dallas
Dallas -- Texas -- History
|1||1||Dallas Convention Center Master Plan Proposal, 1986|