Municipal Archives


White Rock Lake General Subject Files, 1921-1953

​Collection 1995-022

Overview

Repository
Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
CreatorPark and Recreation Department
TitleWhite Rock Lake General Subject Files
Dates1921-1953
Quantity 1.7 inches linear
AbstractCorrespondence, memoranda, architectural plans and drawings, and photographic prints documenting the creation and development of White Rock Lake and White Rock Lake Park, Dallas, Texas.
Identification1995-022
LanguageRecords are in English

Scope and Content

Correspondence, memoranda, architectural plans and drawings, and photographic prints documenting the creation and development of White Rock Lake and White Rock Lake Park, Dallas, Texas.

White Rock Lake is a 1,015 acre urban lake owned by the City of Dallas. Its main entrance is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive. and includes a variety of outdoor activities, including a 9.33 mile hike and bike trail; an Audubon Society-designated bird watching area and wetlands site; picnic areas, and three rental facilities (Winfrey Point, the Dreyfuss Club, and Big Thicket).  The lake also includes fishing piers, sailing facilities (Corinthian Sailing Club) and a meeting and event facility, the White Rock Bath House Cultural Center, located 521 E. Lawther Drive.

The lake is fed by nine tributaries, including White Rock Creek, and was created as a reservoir for the City of Dallas.  The City of Dallas purchased the land for White Rock Lake between 1907 and 1910; construction began in the spring of 1910 and was completed in the fall of 1911.  Supervision of the parkland of White Rock Lake was transferred from Dallas Water Utilities to the Dallas Park Board in 1929 when White Rock Lake Park was created.

Organization

The collection is arranged by subject matter and contains oversized materials.

Access

Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.

Citation

White Rock Lake General Subject Files, 1921-1953 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives

Related Materials

Collection 1995-021—White Rock Lake - Dredging, 1938
Collection 1995-044—White Rock Lake Improvements, 1956-1982
Collection 2008-002—Earl Hart Family - White Rock Lake

Index Terms

Dallas -- Texas -- History
Parks -- Texas -- History
Park facilities -- Texas -- History
Texas -- History
Texas -- Description and travel

Container List

BoxFolderTitle, Date
11Letter, White Rock Lake to become a park, May 26, 1921
 2General Subject File "A-C"
 3General Subject File "D"
 4General Subject File "E-F"
 5General Subject File "M-P"
 6General Subject File "R-W"
 7Amusement privileges, 1941
 8Angler's Club
 9Accidents, 1940-1942
 10Drowning Martha Jane Francisco - Drowned White Rock Beach, July 23, 1950
 11Drowning William. A. King - Heart Attack at White Rock Beach
 12Drowning Frank DeRosa (U S Military Service) Accident - White Rock
 13Buckner Boulevard
 14Boat Houses - Municipal Boat Houses
 15Boat Repair Shop
21Boat Houses - Private, 1942-1953
 2Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) Camp, 1941-1948
 3Bank Sloping and Guard Rails (CCC)
 4Big Thicket Inn (CCC)
 5Columbian Club
 6Camp Sites No. 2 to 29 - Removal from White Rock, 1940
 7Camp Sites No. 30 to 59A - Removal from White Rock, 1940
31Camp Sites No. 60 to 108 - Removal from White Rock, 1940
 2Camping Privileges - White Rock
 3City Farm - White Rock, Prison Labor
 4Prison Labor, 1943-1947
 5Camps - General - White Rock
 6Development and Improvement, 1932-1936
 7Doran Point Concession
 8Dallas Power and Light (White Rock) and Bachman Lake
 9White Rock Dreyfuss Camp
41White Rock Fish Hatchery Constructed, 1930
 2Fish Hatchery, 1931-1949
 3Fireworks
 4Garden Clubs
 5Gasoline use, 1936-1942
 6Golf Course, 1926-1939
 7Investigations - removal of fish, 1938
 8Motor Boats, 1938-43
 9Motor Boats, 1939-1948
 10White Rock Nature Trail, 1937-1940
 11News Boys Club, Kiwanis Club, 1929-1936
 12Parking Areas
51White Rock Petition - Removal Rough Fish, 1951
 2White Rock Paving Job - N. P. Turner
 3Piers, 1935
 4Sailing Club (White Rock), includes Dining Hall, 1930-1943
 5Soil Conservation, 1936-1946
 6Spur Track, 1939-1940
 7T and P Club
 8Winfrey Point
 9Fifth Ferrying Command White Rock - Winfrey Point Fire Building, 1941-1944
 10Study for White Rock Lake, Texas Technical College, 1959
 11Drainage
  Oversized Folder Oversized Plans and Drawings