Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||City-County Public Welfare Board|
|Title||City-County Public Welfare Board|
|Quantity||1/4 linear inch|
|Abstract||Typescript meeting minutes.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection documents the City-County Public Welfare Board, an agency intended to streamline a variety of welfare programs offered jointly through Dallas County, the City of Dallas, and private agencies. The board, sometimes called the City-County Bureau of Public Assistance, was created by City of Dallas Mayor Henry D. Lindsley in 1915. Lindsley stated that the board’s function was to “coordinate the different social agencies so that we will get results in Dallas equaled by few cities in the United States” (Dallas Morning News, April 8, 1915).
The board’s director was jointly appointed by the city manager and the county judge and its operations peaked in the 1940s and 1950s, culminating in the erection of a City-County Department of Public Welfare Building in 1958. The intergovernmental arrangement was never clearly defined or funded, and the Dallas City Council dissolved the board in 1960.
Collection consists of typescript board minutes from 1956 to 1959.
The collection is arranged by subject.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
City-County Public Welfare Board, 1956-1959 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Public welfare -- Texas -- Dallas
Public welfare -- Texas -- Dallas County
|1||1||Minutes of the Board, Dallas City-County Department of Public Welfare, 1956-1959|