Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
Creator||Dallas Park and Recreation Department |
Title||City Park - Preliminary Research Brochure by James A. Newett|
Quantity||1 linear inch|
Abstract||Preliminary research brochure for City Park.|
Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a research brochure for City Park, proposing the site as a permanent exhibit of Dallas history.
The land for City Park was acquired by the city of Dallas between 1876 and 1885, establishing it as the city's first public park. It later became the city's first zoo in 1888. The park was officially named Old City Park in 1976 and in 2005 was renamed Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
. It is a modern and nationally-accredited living history museum within the park, consisting of 19th- and early 20th-century pioneer and Victorian homes and commercial buildings. The structures date between 1840 and 1910 and were moved to the site from various north-central Texas locations by the Dallas County Heritage Society.
The park is owned by the city of Dallas and the museum is run by the nonprofit organization Dallas County Heritage Society.
The brochure includes preliminary research, descriptions of the various buildings, site studies, drawing plans, and news clippings. related to moving the historic buildings to what-was-then City Park.
The collection is arranged by subject.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
City Park - Preliminary Research Brochure by James A. Newett, 1965 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Dallas Heritage Village (Dallas, Tex.)
Old City Park (Dallas, Tex.)
|1||1||City Park - Dallas, Preliminary Research Brochure, by James A. Newett, 1965|