Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||Dallas Park and Recreation Department |
|Title||Cole Purchase and Turtle Creek Land Acquisitions|
|Quantity||1 linear inch|
|Abstract||Land Acquisition documents for portions of Cole, Reverchon, and Turtle Creek Parks.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection documents the purchase of portions of what is now Reverchon Park in Dallas, Texas.
Reverchon Park, a city-owned park adjacent to Turtle Creek Boulevard and Maple Avenue, sits atop what is known as the “Cole Purchase.” The land originally was owned by one of Dallas’ earliest pioneers, Dr. John D. Cole. In 1914, the City of Dallas purchased 36 acres from the John Cole Estate and from Cole heirs for the sum of $40,000. The property contained the area known as Woodchuck Hill, Raccoon Springs, and portions of Turtle Creek.
Doctor John D. Cole (1796-1850) bought two lots in the settlement that had started along Cedar Springs Creek and organized a town that was also called Cedar Springs. He purchased a nearby 160 acres of land from William Grigsby. The area was two or three miles north of John Neely Bryan's trading post on the Trinity River. Dr. Cole installed a store and pharmacy combination in a log structure in Cedar Springs and began to establish his practice of medicine. He also began farming and looking for more land. He later applied for a certificate for 640 acres adjoining the 160 acres he had bought from Grigsby and also bought land from Henderson Couch who was his neighbor to the west. When Dallas County was established in 1846, after Texas had been annexed by the United States, the county included the part of Nacogdoches County that Cole, Bryan, and others had chosen to settle on. When the Dallas County government was formed, John Cole, who had probably been the first doctor in the area, was chosen to be the judge of the first probate court.
The collection is arranged by subject.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Cole Purchase and Turtle Creek Land Acquisitions, 1914-1918 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
|1||1||Property sale documents regarding properties of Robert Ralston, H. C. Early, Edward Reeves, A. C. Gillespie, Cora Cole, William Hughes, University of Dallas, and Isaac Carter, 1914|
| ||2||Cole's Sylvester Addition affidavits, 1914|
| ||3||Cole property owner petition and blueprint map, 1914|
| ||4||Property sale documents regarding properties of University of Dallas, 1915|
| ||5||Warranty deeds, Talty and Catto, 1915|
| ||6||Sale contracts, 1914|
| ||7||Deeds, Cora Cole, R.W. Miers, Flippen-Prather Realty Company, 1914, and City of Dallas Ordinance 363 [Changing Route of Maple Avenue], 1918|
| ||8||Deeds and transfer documentation , Cole heirs, 1914|