Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||Dallas Board of Commissioners|
|Title||Martinez Anti-Tuberculosis Fund|
|Quantity||1/8th linear inch|
|Abstract||Typescript document and resolution.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
The Martinez Anti-Tuberculosis Fund was a health program designed to "aid annually from three to five persons afflicted with tuberculosis and who have no means or relatives legally liable for their support." Mr. Pedro Pacheco Martinez, Dallas civic leader, philanthropist, and tobacconist, made a non-binding offer of an annual contribution that lasted for an undetermined number of years.
The control of tuberculosis in the City of Dallas began in 1912 when a city-county sanitarium was established for smallpox and tuberculosis patients; a year later Woodlawn Hospital, later Parkland Hospital, was built in part to accommodate tuberculosis. The City contributed to the establishment of the Dallas County Tuberculosis Association in 1915 and to other Department of Public Health programs through the 1960s. During the twentieth century the death rate from the disease dropped from 134.0 per hundred thousand population in 1918 to 5.3 per hundred thousand population in 1963.
The typescript document and a resolution accepting and thanking the donation is signed by Martinez, City of Dallas Commissioners William Doran, J. W. Ryan, R. L. Winfrey, and Otto Lang and Mayor Joe E. Lawther.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Martinez Anti-Tuberculosis Fund, 1917 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Martinez, P. P. (Pedro Pacheco), 1854-1935
| 1|| 1|| Typescript document and a resolution accepting and thanking the donation, 1917|