Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
City of Dallas|
Park and Recreation Department Property History|
0.25 linear inches|
Legal documents and blueprints related to agreement between the Union Terminal Company and the City of Dallas.|
Records are in English|
Scope and Content
The collection consists of a report detailing park property acquisitions and park improvements made by the City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department from 1876 to about 1959. Included in the collection is information on federally-funded Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps projects, a brief description of the city's monuments, statues, and memorials, a list of park properties sold, a list of school parks (administered in collaboration with the Dallas Independent School District), as well as brief histories of City Park, Marsalis Park Zoo, and White Rock Lake.
The City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department provides leisure, recreational and cultural activities for the citizens of Dallas and the general public and maintains more than 21,000 park acres including 4,400 surface acres of water at 17 park sites, 17,196 acres of greenbelt/park land, and 61.6 miles of jogging and bike trails at 24 locations. As of 2018, the city has over 400 individual parks, including recreational facilities such as community centers, swimming pools, athletic fields, and a metropolitan zoo.
The collection is a single document.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Park and Recreation Department Property History, 1959 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Pathfinder 2—Resources for Researching City of Dallas Parks
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Park -- Texas -- History
Park facilities -- Texas -- History
Park Property History, 1876-1959|