|Repository||Dallas Municipal Archives|
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||City of Dallas Department of Street Services|
|Title||City of Dallas Street Lighting Project Photographs|
|Quantity||0.42 linear feet (1 box)|
|Abstract||Street Lighting - Before and After Photos from the lighting program.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection documents the implementation of street lights throughout the City of Dallas between 1949 and 1968.
The collection includes photos taken before and after lighting projects were completed. Typically taken from the center of city streets as well as in the city's parks, these photos document the positive changes the lighting project had on the streets, parks, and neighborhoods of Dallas.
The City of Dallas Department of Street Services is responsible for the construction and maintenance of City of Dallas streets. Its major services include street and alley pot hole repair, larger scale street and alley repair, storm sewer cleaning and repair, operation and maintenance of the Trinity River Flood Control System, cleaning and mowing of rights-of-way, medians, street islands and surplus lots, and annual street and alley condition inventories. Regulations and formal responsibility for Dallas city streets originated in an ordinance dated June 12, 1871. Clay and wooden brick were early paving materials; the first asphalt paving in Dallas occurred in 1884.
This collection documents not only the lighting project but also the changing face of Dallas over two decades.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
City of Dallas Street Lighting Project Photographs, 1949-1968 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Dallas (Tex.) -- Lighting
Street lighting -- Texas -- Dallas
|1||1||Harwood Street Underpass though Live Oak (East from Pearl), March 1952-December 1953|
| ||2||Live Oak Street (East from Haskell) through Jefferson Avenue (West from Zang), July 1953-September 1956|
| ||3||Corinth Street Underpass through Vernon Street (North from Illinois), March 1957-November 1962|
| ||4||Windsor Park through Northwest Highway (East from Lawther), July 1963-December 1964|
| ||5||Lindsley Park through Kiest Boulevard (East from Ravinia), March 1965-December 1965|
| ||6||12th Street (East from Tyler) through Prestonwood Estates (Belt Line Rd. and Meandering Way), January 1966-September 1967|
| ||7||Main Street from Stone to Ervay (West from Ervay) through Four Part Lighting Construction Photos, September 1954-March 1955|
| ||8||Yeager Street and Rupley Lane (Gaston Park) through Weiss Park (Clarendon and Combs Creek Dr.), May 1953-November 1966|
Includes undated photographs of light fixtures themselves.
| ||9||Aerial Photographs and Negatives|
| ||10||Signal Installations and Improvements - Hand-written loose leaf documentations, 1949-1968|