Municipal Archives


​Dallas Water Utilities Red River Pump Station, 1952-1971

​Collection 2017-004

Overview


epository
Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
CreatorDallas Water Utilities 
TitleDallas Water Utilities Red River Pump Station
Dates1952-1971
Quantity1.75 linear inches
AbstractDocumentation of the Dallas Water Utilities Red River Pump Station
Identification2017-004
LanguageRecords are in English
Scope and Content
 
Memoranda, correspondence, reports, studies, and other documents concerning Dallas Water Utilities' planning and development of a pump station on the Red River to alleviate severe water shortages in Dallas during the 1950s.

Dallas suffered 52 days of 100-plus temperatures in 1953, part of a statewide drought that lasted from 1951 to 1957.
At the end of 1951 the East Fork of the Trinity River had dried up, as well as the Clear Fork of the Trinity and Cedar Creek.
The city was in danger of running out of water at the end of 1951, and the crisis was not resolved until 1957. Dallas voters defeated a $6 million bond package to increase capacity at the beginning of 1952 and Lake Dallas, then considered one of the city’s main water sources, was silted and operating under capacity.
The Dallas City Council enacted water conservation measures and the city refurbished the White Rock Pump Station, using the White Rock Lake’s water for the first time in 23 years. In 1953 the city constructed a pumping plant on the Red River directly north of Gainesville for the purpose of diverting river water over the Red-Trinity River divide and into Lake Dallas to supplement the municipal supply. Six pumps delivered water through a concrete pipeline and a cut channel a distance of about 3 miles to the head of Pecan Creek - a tributary of the Elm Fork of theTrinity River. Because of high saline levels, the water damaged Dallas area networks and was discontinued.

Organization

The collection is maintained in original order by file folder subject heading.

Access 
 
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
 

Citation

Dallas Water Utilities Red River Pump Station Collection (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
 

Related Material

None
 

Index Terms

Water -- Texas -- History
Dallas -- Texas -- History

Container List

BoxFolderTitle, Date
11Wells 45, 46, 47, 1959-1971
2Salt water pollution - Red River, 1961-1963
3Emergency wells, 1957-1963 and undated
4Red River Pump Station capacities, 1954-1957
5Wells dried up caused by pumping [emergency service], 1954-1956

​6
​Well studies, 1957

​7
​Well drilling ordinance, 1954-1957

​8
​Dallas wells, 1967 and undated

​9
Underground Waters of Texas report, 1935

​10
​Wells - artesian and gill, 1953-1966

​11
​Wells - Pleasant Grove #1 and #3; Gill Well; Fleming Paper Company; Lake June, 1952-1956

​12
​Wells - Walnut Hill and Midway Road - a Paluxy well, 1956

​13
​Red River Project - Forrest and Cotton, 1953-1954

​14
​Newspaper clippings, 1962-1970
​2
​1
​Cumulative effects - Red River pumpage into Lake Dallas and Garza-Little Elm Reservoirs, 1956

​2
​Pumps - Forrest and Cotton, 1953-1956

​3
​Electric service, 1953

​4
​Basin hearing - - Washington, DC, 1959

​5
​Permit #1670, 1953-1955

​6
​Red River correspondence, 1956-1966

​7
​Red River Pump Station, 1953-1957

​8
​Red River emergency water source memoranda, 1957

​9
​Gordon Street Bridge, 1953-1957

​10
​Johnson and Associates contract, 1956

​11
​State Board of Water Engineeres stream gauging study, 1953

​12
​Salt water polllution, 1958-1959

​13
​Arkansas Basin water quality control study, 1957-1957

​14
​Red River water - mineral analysis, 1952-1957

​15
​Diversion project -- H. W. Stark pipe removal contract, 1956

​16
​Drought, 1953

​17
​Emergency water supply, Forrest and Cotton, 1953-1954