Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||Office of the City Secretary|
|Title||Dallas Railway Company, Interurbans, and Electric Railway|
|Quantity||.84 linear feet (2 boxes)|
|Abstract||Correspondence, financial statements, court proceedings transcripts, and typescript schedules.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection documents early trolley and interurban railway lines in Dallas. Until personal automobiles became a preferred mode of travel, electric railways filled the need for frequent passenger service between urban centers that could not be met by existing steam-railroad service. About 70 percent of the entire state of Texas’ mileage was in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, where electric lines connected Fort Worth and Cleburne, Fort Worth and Dallas, and Denison, Dallas, Corsicana, and Waco. Seven companies are represented in the collection; short descriptions of the companies follow.
According to local researcher James Barnes, the West Dallas Railway Company existed between about 1890 and 1893 and was an uncompleted project of Oak Cliff developer Thomas L. Marsalis and others. The company consisted of two lines, one extending Marsalis' 1887 Dallas & Oak Cliff railroad and a second line branching off near the Texas & Pacific track and going out to Mountain Creek through the districts known today as Western Heights and Beverly Hills.
The North Dallas Circuit Railway Company was incorporated in 1898; although, a company bearing the same name existed as early as 1889. The line ran from an undetermined source to Exall Lake and through several transactions was absorbed into the Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway in 1902.
The Dallas Electric Railway was incorporated in 1890 and operated a line running down Elm Street and through East Dallas.
The Northern Texas Traction Company was an interurban line starting in 1902 and ran thirty-five miles between Dallas and Fort Worth. Operations ceased in 1934.
Dallas Railway & Terminal Company was the largest and longest running streetcar and bus system, beginning in 1917. Streetcar lines were abandoned in 1956, and the company changed its name to the Dallas Transit Company.
The Texas Interurban Railway had two lines, a twenty-nine-mile run between Dallas and Terrell from 1923 to 1932 and a thirty-eight-mile run from Dallas to Denton from 1924 to 1932.
Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway was incorporated in 1887 and merged four companies into one in 1902.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Dallas Railway Company, Interurbans, and Electric Railway, 1890-1933 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Collection 1994-002—Texas and Pacific Railroad, 1915-1920
Dallas -- Texas -- History
Dallas Electric Railway
Dallas Railway & Terminal Company
North Dallas Circuit Railway Company
Northern Texas Traction Company
Texas Interurban Railway
Trains -- Texas – Dallas
Acceptance-West Dallas Railway Company, January 20, 1890
[Signed by T. L. Marsalis, E. L. Snodgrass and J. A. McAllen. Filed by W. M. McGrain, Dallas City Secretary.]
Acceptance-Construction of poles-North Dallas Circuit Railway, February 5, 1890
[Along the right of way to be used for construction of the electric system, signed by E. Sweeney, filed by W. M. McGrain, Dallas City Secretary.]
Acceptance and bond of Dallas Electric Railway of right of way granted by the Dallas City Council, 1890
[Three items filed by W. M. McGrain, City Secretary on July 7, 1890; August 9, 1890; and August 21, 1890.]
Street improvements and right of ways, 1914
[Northern Texas Traction Company and Dallas Railway Company, with City Attorney opinions.]
| ||5||Northern Texas Traction Company and Southern Traction Company viaduct construction, 1915|
| ||6||Street Railway and Light and Power Franchises, 1917|
| ||7||Property values and improvements by the Dallas Railway Company, 1917|
Notes for a lawsuit, c. 1917-1920
[Concerning the City of Dallas and the Dallas Railway Company and other papers concerning improvements to the tracks.]
| ||9||Indenture of Lease entered between the Northern Traction Company and the Dallas Railway Company, 1917|
Ordinance granting C. W. Hobson rights to build and operate a street railway system, 1917
Oak Cliff Lines, 1918
[Northern Traction Company and agreement with the Dallas Railway Company.]
| ||12||Improvement requisitions, 1918-1919|
Hearing before the Board of Equalization, 1933
[Dallas Railway & Terminal Company. Session of July 11, 1933 and Session of July 15, 1933.]
|2||1||Cost Analysis - Cost of Reproducing New the Physical Property of the Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway as of September 30, 1915|
| ||2||Correspondence, 1918-1919|
| ||3||Six cent (.06) rate issue, 1920-1922|
| ||4||Financial and statistical information, 1920|
| ||5||Rates-Letter and estimate of earnings, 1921|
| ||6||Improvement with a double track on St. Paul between Elm and Commerce streets, 1921|
| ||7||Mt. Auburn and Parkview Lines, 1921|
| ||8||Hearing on rate application, 1921|
| ||9||Fred A. Jones-Accounting and Estimates for Construction, February 3, 1921|
| ||10||Correspondence with accounting figures for fare increase request 1920-21|
| ||11||Resolution and application for rate increase, January 28, 1921|
| ||12||Resolution and application for fare increase, May 2, 1921|
| ||13||Receipt from post office registered article, May 4, 1921|
| ||14||Texas Interurban Railway, 1922|
| ||15||Estimated Rides and Revenues, 1933|