Collection documents improvements made in storm water outlet sewerage for portions of East and West Dallas. In 1931, Consulting Engineer W.W. Horner presented a report to the Dallas City Council on the storm water outlet sewers for the Dallas Branch, Peak's Branch, and Mill Creek water sheds. The report recommended the city create a storm drainage policy to implement and maintain a consistent method of routing wastewater and to avoid flooding issues that resulted from poor or nonexistent planning. The report was accepted by the Council by Resolution in 1931.
Collection consists of the original typescript report and supporting maps and documentation as presented to the Dallas City Council, as well as documents associated with the implementation of the project's various stages. Some stage documentation files contain typescript correspondence, blueprints and maps, engineering schedules, and a few black and white photographs.
The Dallas Water Utilities (DWU) is the self-financed City of Dallas department responsible for water collection and distribution. DWU serves a population of approximately 1,211,000 customers in Dallas, 862,457 in wholesale customers cities (treated water), and 129,993 in wholesale customer cities (untreated water) in a service area of approximately 699 square miles. Dallas’ surface water supply comes from six reservoirs – Lakes Lewisville, Grapevine, Ray Hubbard, Tawakoni, Ray Roberts, and Fork. Water purification is conducted at three plants, East Side, Elm Fork, and Bachman, treating around 855 million gallons a day. Water is distributed by means of 23 pump stations and stored in 21 storage tanks (nine elevated, twelve ground) and conveyed through 4,639 miles of water main. Wastewater is treated at two plants, Central and Southside, at 260 million gallons a day.
Dallas Water Utilities began as the City of Dallas Waterworks in 1881 when the City purchased a privately-owned water company that had been providing Dallas with water since the 1870s. When Browder Springs proved an inadequate water source, the City turned to surface water sources such as the Trinity River and manmade lakes (Bachman ; White Rock ; Lakes Lewisville ; Lake Grapevine ; Lake Tawakoni ; Lake Ray Hubbard ; Lake Ray Roberts ; Lake Fork ; and Lake Palestine ).